Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for an engineer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only advantage I can see of parking inside is protecting the tires from UV. I am going to trade in my full body painted RVs and buy an old Airstream trailer and use the two of them for work and play, and I don't need to worry about the paint on either. And on the days I am not traveling the CT in the sun means charging up the batteries.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
The only advantage I can see of parking inside is protecting the tires from UV. I am going to trade in my full body painted RVs and buy an old Airstream trailer and use the two of them for work and play, and I don't need to worry about the paint on either. And on the days I am not traveling the CT in the sun means charging up the batteries.

Have you ever maintained the exterior of a polished Airstream? Far worse than paint. You will even be polishing the aluminum LP cylinders. They outlast steel, but are not maintenance free.
I find tires crack on both sidewalls and in the tread not exposed to sunlight. They crack and deteriorate on the inner sidewalls just as much if not more than the outer in direct sunlight. I've removed tire covers to find them deteriorating as well. It's ozone and natural degrading.

Be aware Airstream parts are insanely priced. Appliances are special built for the curvature of the sides, furnaces and fridges are not the same as regular RV appliances. You'll notice a microwave will be marked "Magic Chef by Airstream", every part for it special order. Door and window hardware as well as awning parts are all special made. Inaccessible plumbing. Horrible things to work on.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Insanely great advice, thanks! I do really like my Thor produced two-story Airstream Sky Deck, I can go to Airstream rallies and no one cares how polished my exterior is -- its paint.

I did have the same issue with an old Cessna of mine, the paint was bad and lots of people were suggesting I just strip and polish (hmm... that's not the mental image I was going for), but I spoke to a guy who had done it and he said it was WAY not worth the effort. Like you suggest, keeping it gleaming is a battle. Wonder how the truck's finish will survive, glad I am not in the first 150K reservations, let others figure it out. Of course, Murphy's Law says those first 150K reservations won't actually take their truck and I'll be among the very first to build one.

I don't thank my wife would like it. We have a garage we built for a John Deer, Lawn mower. and tool's. I now keep a F150 that's stick's out about 4 feet. This will be it's resting place

IMG_0093.jpeg