Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding "Premium Audio"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently looking to purchase a 2014 P85DL that is labeled as having "Premium Audio" in the additional information screen of the vehicle. But it does not have the subwoofer in the rear compartment. Are the "Premium Audio" and the UHF system 2 different things?

I'm currently looking to purchase a 2014 P85DL that is labeled as having "Premium Audio" in the additional information screen of the vehicle. But it does not have the subwoofer in the rear compartment. Are the "Premium Audio" and the UHF system 2 different things?
"Premium audio" is a lie. No subwoofer means base sound system.

Are you sure there is no sub? You cannot see it, but can feel bottom portion if you gently reach under rear, right edge in lower trunk compartment.

Are you sure there is no sub? You cannot see it, but can feel bottom portion if you gently reach under rear, right edge in lower trunk compartment.
You shouldn't have to reach anywhere. The factory sub is easily seen on the right hand side as a big box. If there is no box and it's a big hole, no UHFS. Pretty simple. There's other ways to know but, if you have access to seeing the rear hatch area this is the quickest.

Reactions: Cheburashka
You shouldn't have to reach anywhere. The factory sub is easily seen on the right hand side as a big box. If there is no box and it's a big hole, no UHFS. Pretty simple. There's other ways to know but, if you have access to seeing the rear hatch area this is the quickest.
Well it’s not obvious that big box is for the sub unless you know what’s behind it, and you can’t “see” it without checking 😉

Reactions: Cheburashka
Well it’s not obvious that big box is for the sub unless you know what’s behind it, and you can’t “see” it without checking 😉
OP asked if the car has UHFS if it "does not have the subwoofer in the rear compartment" per their words. I assumed the OP wasn't a moron that didn't know what they were talking about or who's eyes didn't work. Based on those assumptions, no "feeling around" is required. No subwoofer = no UHFS. There is no other option from the factory which is what the OP is asking. Am I missing something here? This isn't complex. Whomever said that car has "premium audio" when it has no subwoofer, lied.

Whomever said that car has "premium audio" when it has no subwoofer, lied.

Not to be argumentative, but the car said it has Premium Audio if you read the OP.

"Premium Audio" in the additional information screen of the vehicle.

Therefore, it’s a reasonable assumption the car might know itself better than a new owner, and it could be helpful to look for a sub behind the big box, which isn’t exactly labeled.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Not to be argumentative, but the car said it has Premium Audio if you read the OP.

Therefore, it’s a reasonable assumption the car might know itself better than a new owner, and it could be helpful to look for a sub behind the big box, which isn’t exactly labeled.
I owe an apology to everyone reading this including you @SoCal Buzz as my entire position was based on how I interpreted the OP's statements.

I misread this to say that the seller of the car (read: 3rd party dealership) stated the car had premium audio and the OP stated they saw no subwoofer box in the hatch. I didn't realize that the car itself was what was saying it had premium audio.

The most likely answer here is that someone (either Tesla at the time of build or most likely a tech at some point during a service call) set the car's service menu to think it had the premium audio option otherwise known as Ulta High Fidelity Sound (UHFS).

Reading the OP of this thread for the first time, I can say that is only two options: base audio and UHFS which is indeed listed as premium audio on the additional information screen. For whatever reason, these are out-of-phase on this particular car. If there is no subwoofer there is no UHFS unless someone physically removed the subwoofer would would make even less sense than the scenario I previously spelled out.

For me, if I was interested in this car, I would take this as a red flag and dig deeper into it's history. Something is very odd about this car as nothing you've described checks out routinely.

You'd be right.....most of the time ;)

I may be new to this forum, but I'm not new to forums or the internet in general lol. Trust me when I say I did pretty thorough research before not only this post, but in shopping for a Tesla in general.

A little bit of pre-context here. I am located in Kansas City, car is located in a different state. So I am relying on communicating with the dealership (for better or worse lol). The car contains literally every other premium option available, so it would seem odd that it doesn't have the premium sound as well.

Attached are the pictures from the listing, showing both the info screen and the seeming lack of the subwoofer based on the photo. Also attached my text with him asking about just this. This was then answered with a phone call in which he said he didn't see a subwoofer in there, despite my explaining to him where it should be located. Is it a deal breaker? I want to say no, but listening to music in my car has always been my "happy place" and where I do most of my music listening....so I was counting on it being a great experience. I guess it may just cost more $$$ in the long run to rectify.

tesla3.PNG
tesla.PNG

tesla2.PNG

You'd be right.....most of the time ;)

I may be new to this forum, but I'm not new to forums or the internet in general lol. Trust me when I say I did pretty thorough research before not only this post, but in shopping for a Tesla in general.

A little bit of pre-context here. I am located in Kansas City, car is located in a different state. So I am relying on communicating with the dealership (for better or worse lol). The car contains literally every other premium option available, so it would seem odd that it doesn't have the premium sound as well.

Attached are the pictures from the listing, showing both the info screen and the seeming lack of the subwoofer based on the photo. Also attached my text with him asking about just this. This was then answered with a phone call in which he said he didn't see a subwoofer in there, despite my explaining to him where it should be located. Is it a deal breaker? I want to say no, but listening to music in my car has always been my "happy place" and where I do most of my music listening....so I was counting on it being a great experience. I guess it may just cost more $$$ in the long run to rectify.

View attachment 760236View attachment 760237
View attachment 760239
I meant new to Tesla. 😊 The sub cannot be “seen” in the trunk. It’s behind this carpeted box. Per my earlier post, you can actually feel the bottom edge of sub if you open the lower storage compartment below the trunk, and carefully reach under the lip of that box. But from this photo, it appears the car has the box and therefore the sub.

AA1B88EB-9BBB-4C16-A59E-8F868E927C77.jpeg

I meant new to Tesla. 😊 The sub cannot be “seen” in the trunk. It’s behind this carpeted box. Per my earlier post, you can actually feel the bottom edge of sub if you open the lower storage compartment below the trunk, and carefully reach under the lip of that box. But from this photo, it appears the car has the box and therefore the sub.

View attachment 760300
Welp, you've improved my mood regarding this car tremendously! I was unsure if that was shadows playing with my eyes or not, especially after I asked the guy at the dealership to go out and look and he came out and said he didn't see it. I was super excited for the purchase, especially with the rear drive motor replacement being nice and fresh on it, then disappointed when I assumed it didn't actually have the UHFS, and now we're back up! lol Apparently during the drive replacement they messed something up to where it randomly pops open the rear hatch and the charge port so they sent it back in and waiting on it to get fixed and I'll fly over and check it out with my own eyes. This will help me sleep a bit easier in the meantime!

On a side note, while I have you here and you seem to be knowledgeable.....these drive motor replacements, are they typically doing these with NEW parts, or just refurbished? The dealer has been pretty clueless when I've asked him a few times, so I have no idea. I know that even if 95% of them were new, I could still end up with a refurbished one....but was curious if you had any views on how they typically seem to be doing these?

Thanks again for your help here, I do appreicate it.

these drive motor replacements

I think the vast majority of motor replacements are refurbished. A common problem on early models was the milling noise, caused by metal bearings that did not stand up to the magnetic field. Tesla replaced my 2013 S motor with refurbished that included new ceramic bearings. But with that you get new seals, pressure testing, etc. so probably not worth worrying about. I’m not sure when the ceramic became standard though, nor if that’s related to your car.

Regarding the sub, be careful if the dealer sticks hand under that box. You could accidentally puncture the speaker.

Ah okay - I think the OP was expecting to see something like a bass tube (yes I owned a car as a teenager in the 90's :) ) or big speaker visible in the rear. As others have pointed out, the subwoofer is hidden on the right-hand side of the rear. If there was no subwoofer, there would be a hole/storage compartment there like the other side.

Ah okay - I think the OP was expecting to see something like a bass tube (yes I owned a car as a teenager in the 90's :) ) or big speaker visible in the rear. As others have pointed out, the subwoofer is hidden on the right-hand side of the rear. If there was no subwoofer, there would be a hole/storage compartment there like the other side.
Yes, pretty much this. And only really because in doing my research on other Tesla's with UHFS there were visible subs in the picture (I'll try to find one as an example), that I imagined would be easily visible despite the floor mats in the photo.

Either way, I appreciate the help from everyone on the forums. Im very eager to get out there hopefully next week to get my eyes/hands on it to verify myself.

Yes, pretty much this. And only really because in doing my research on other Tesla's with UHFS there were visible subs in the picture (I'll try to find one as an example), that I imagined would be easily visible despite the floor mats in the photo.

Either way, I appreciate the help from everyone on the forums. Im very eager to get out there hopefully next week to get my eyes/hands on it to verify myself.
You’ve probably seen pics of a few aftermarket options like this one. Good luck with the car!