Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question with Model X Towing Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to carry a trailer with a 260-gallon water container. I am calculating the pulling weight to be about 3,500 lbs (trailer, container and water). I am installing the container over the trailer tires slightly forward to maintain the weight on the front. My question is with the vertical load limit of 120 lbs. Assuming the trailer is contributing for about 20 lbs, this is giving me a margin of 100 lbs for the container and water. This could especially be a problem when moving as going through potholes or other road hazards could cause a larger load due to the trailer and water movement. Has anybody carried a water container with an X and have any information/advise to share. I prefer to ask before being sorry!

I need to carry a trailer with a 260-gallon water container. I am calculating the pulling weight to be about 3,500 lbs (trailer, container and water). I am installing the container over the trailer tires slightly forward to maintain the weight on the front. My question is with the vertical load limit of 120 lbs. Assuming the trailer is contributing for about 20 lbs, this is giving me a margin of 100 lbs for the container and water. This could especially be a problem when moving as going through potholes or other road hazards could cause a larger load due to the trailer and water movement. Has anybody carried a water container with an X and have any information/advise to share. I prefer to ask before being sorry!
I'm pretty sure rated down force on hitch is 600 pounds, not 120 on model X.

I'm pretty sure rated down force on hitch is 600 pounds, not 120 on model X.
OK, when Tesla makes reference to “support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs” they are making reference to a rack mounted on the hitch. When using a trailer, the Maximum Tongue Weight of 500 lbs would then apply. That should not be a problem as I will make sure to place the container a little forward from the tires. This is really reassuring. Wow, there is a big difference between the two load ratings.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
I'd make sure that there are either baffles in the container to contain the water movement or to move either full or empty. Half full doesn't sound great, 1500 lbs shifting behind the center of gravity and creating a lift on the hitch?

When I was working for a RV dealer years ago, someone came in with a Jeep and was wanting to buy a rather large trailer. Salesman wouldn't sale. Customer, "But the Jeep can haul the load" Sale "But the trailer can also swing the Jeep off the road."

Just a quick google for water tank baffles yielded a lot of results. It's obviously a big issue for tankers.

I'd make sure that there are either baffles in the container to contain the water movement or to move either full or empty. Half full doesn't sound great, 1500 lbs shifting behind the center of gravity and creating a lift on the hitch?

When I was working for a RV dealer years ago, someone came in with a Jeep and was wanting to buy a rather large trailer. Salesman wouldn't sale. Customer, "But the Jeep can haul the load" Sale "But the trailer can also swing the Jeep off the road."

Just a quick google for water tank baffles yielded a lot of results. It's obviously a big issue for tankers.
Thank you for your reference for the “water tank baffles”. I will add the 4” slotted pipe to minimize the sloshing and weight shifting. This is used twice a year to fill a spa. I am typically going with a full tank and driving in the city at low speed. I still want to minimize the risks of damaging my X or even worse by causing an accident.