Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about delivery of my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

September 15th I ordered my Model 3 (Long Range).

When I ordered, the delivery was announced to be "within 2 weeks".

Since then I've been dealing with catastrophic customer service: calling Tesla Canada ends up in a voicemail and you never get ANY callback EVER. Same with email.

Calling or emailing my local dealership (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) would get me a response within a few days, and this response was always the same: yeah sure you'll get it next week!

7 weeks later they finally call to tell me that my Model 3 is here but there's a dent in the rear passenger door and it will be ready in a week. But hey you've been "upgraded" and we're delivering you a 2020 model even though you ordered a 2019.

Now here's my question: I'm worried about that... I'm paying $80K (CAD) for a new car and it comes damaged and repaired.
For me $80K is a really high investment so I was really hoping for a mint product.

And it is my understanding that factory paint is much higher quality than any repair, even though the Tesla representative at the dealership says it is 100% like new.

Of course they don't offer any kind of compensation, they only said that if I want, I can wait for another (new) one to come, but it might take another 2 months!

And of course the same ordeal might happen (it might arrive with a dent) so it could be a never ending cycle.

I'm unsure what to do: should I take the vehicle with the repaired dent or would you recommend I request a new one?

Thanks!

That depends on how soon you want/need the Model 3. I think they were truthful when they said it could take another two months.

If it were me, I'd take it, but I would VERY carefully inspect the affected door and paint. Make sure the color matches everything else, and make sure the door is 100%. Open, close, check windows etc. See if they are willing to allow a short test drive and check for any rattles or excessive road noise. That's not usually allowed, but given the circumstances they may go for it.

I think most will agree that repair done by a competent body shop should make your car look good as new.

At least this defect is obvious and fixable and not some transient mechanical/electrical issue.

I recommend you take a look around this message board. There's plenty of posts regarding peoples' cars coming in with some sort of defect or another (typically a misaligned frunk or trunk.) It seems that they are producing the cars so fast that perfection is not really on their list. You're not the only one that this has happened to. I recommend taking the car as is because you will certainly be waiting a while to get another one after that.

7 weeks later they finally call to tell me that my Model 3 is here but there's a dent in the rear passenger door and it will be ready in a week. But hey you've been "upgraded" and we're delivering you a 2020 model even though you ordered a 2019.

Sorry ... an "upgrade"? That's a whole lot of nonsense. You ordered a car. I doubt that they even have a 2019 car to sell you.

Tesla whines about it's lack of profits - but how much money does it cost them to fix really screwed up car, dented cars, scratched cars, etc.?

It's probably a lot more economical not to mess the cars up in the first place.

Sorry you had this experience. I expect that a good body shop will give you a top grade job. It's more waiting, but it will likely be good in the end.

Reactions: holmgang
Sorry ... an "upgrade"? That's a whole lot of nonsense. You ordered a car. I doubt that they even have a 2019 car to sell you.

Tesla whines about it's lack of profits - but how much money does it cost them to fix really screwed up car, dented cars, scratched cars, etc.?

It's probably a lot more economical not to mess the cars up in the first place.

Sorry you had this experience. I expect that a good body shop will give you a top grade job. It's more waiting, but it will likely be good in the end.

Not anymore. Tesla Reports Profit for Quarter, Sending Shares Soaring

For me $80K is a really high investment so I was really hoping for a mint product.

And it is my understanding that factory paint is much higher quality than any repair, even though the Tesla representative at the dealership says it is 100% like new.

Here is the problem, when you decide to order a Tesla you should be fully prepared to receive a car that is anything but mint. Quality has certainly improved but you simply can't compare a Tesla to comparably priced ICE cars from traditional manufacturers. Secondly Tesla is known to have done some of the worst factory paint job in the industry, so if the repair is done at a good shop chances are it'll be better than factory paint.
Also upgrade to 2020 is worth it as you should get the longer range and better sound deadening, but you'll most likely lose frunk hooks, door pocket lights, and dead pedal. A worthy upgrade IMO.

Here is the problem, when you decide to order a Tesla you should be fully prepared to receive a car that is anything but mint. Quality has certainly improved but you simply can't compare a Tesla to comparably priced ICE cars from traditional manufacturers. Secondly Tesla is known to have done some of the worst factory paint job in the industry, so if the repair is done at a good shop chances are it'll be better than factory paint.
Also upgrade to 2020 is worth it as you should get the longer range and better sound deadening, but you'll most likely lose frunk hooks, door pocket lights, and dead pedal. A worthy upgrade IMO.

Yes, and if you take any new car and drive it for 6 months - it will naturally loose it's perfect glow.

Short story - unless you get a really horrid paint job (not very common), just take it.

If you are really picky about paint/color/shine etc., there is no factory paint job that will suffice. Your only recourse is a good ceramic application that comes with color correction. When done right, your car will look like better than new and stay that way, and be much easier to clean and keep clean. It's not cheap though.

They usually don’t even notice the dents prior to delivery. They rely on the customer to identify them and then they try to get you to take the car as is and chase after them post delivery to get things fixed. So I’d say things are looking up.

I would just inspect the car really closely. If it looks fine take it. If it looks repaired just reject it and wait for another one.

OP, all sorts of cars get damaged before delivery. BMW (I know I keep mentioning BMW but I am very familiar with most BMW processes) has a "vehicle processing center" where they process vehicles that are shipped from overseas here. They only have to disclose damage if its over a certain amount.. forget what that amount is but its definitely not "repairing a dent in the door" level they have to report.

So, many people buy new cars that had damage and were repaired, and they never know it.

Now, with that being said, its up to you. It depends on if you want a car this year or not. That damage is not going to be associated with a vin if you sell it (for example), so you need to decide about how the rest of the car looks imo.

But, if its going to bother you for the life of the ownership of the car, then you need to take that into consideration.

Totally agree that cars damaged in delivery happens a lot to every car manufacturer. There is a lot of handling with so many situations where a car can be harmed.

Can you get pics of the damage?

If the 2020 has more range I would wait. Sorry you're playing the waiting game, but it will be worth it!