Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
I have a few questions about Full Self Driving for a university study. Any answers would be greatly appreciated and whoever answers will not be personally identified in our study.

In full self-driving mode, what audio and visual indicators are used to alert the driver of a pedestrian/bicycle/object unexpectedly entering or crossing the roadway? When do these alerts trigger?

In full self-driving mode, what audio and visual indicators are used to alert the driver of a stop sign? When do these alerts trigger?

In full self-driving mode, what audio and visual indicators are used to alert the driver of a red traffic light? When do these alerts trigger?

Thank you,
VEMI (Virtual Environment and Multimodal Interactions) Lab, University of Maine

Hi there,
I have a few questions about Full Self Driving for a university study. Any answers would be greatly appreciated and whoever answers will not be personally identified in our study.

In full self-driving mode, what audio and visual indicators are used to alert the driver of a pedestrian/bicycle/object unexpectedly entering or crossing the roadway? When do these alerts trigger?

In full self-driving mode, what audio and visual indicators are used to alert the driver of a stop sign? When do these alerts trigger?

In full self-driving mode, what audio and visual indicators are used to alert the driver of a red traffic light? When do these alerts trigger?

Thank you,
VEMI (Virtual Environment and Multimodal Interactions) Lab, University of Maine

Respectfully, asking people on a forum to answer questions is probably not the best way to get the right data for your research. Ideally, you should test drive a Tesla to get answers yourself. You could ask a friend with a Tesla to show you, or rent a Tesla for a day. If you cannot get access to a Tesla, the next best thing would be to watch as many youtube videos as possible. There are a ton of excellent videos on Tesla where you can see these features for yourself. It will be much better data if you can see how the features work rather than just relying on people's written answer.

Here are 2 videos that I found doing a quick youtube search for you. They should help answer your questions. But please watch as many videos as you can.

Hi there,

Just to make sure, you know Teslas aren't doing anything like SAE Level 3/4/5 "Full Self Driving." Right now, some "FSD" features are active or perhaps, "previewed" would be a better word. If you purchased the upcoming FSD package and have the latest hardware, you can enable stop light / stop sign recognition, which in my experience notifies the driver visually at 600 feet for every stop light regardless if it's green or red, and will come to a stop unless the driver confirms it's OK to proceed. I haven't noticed an audio alert, but I wouldn't be surprised if that occurs if the driver attempted to blow through a stop light by overriding with the accelerator pedal. I haven't had the occasion of having a pedestrian, bike or anything else appear unexpectedly in front of the car while trying out these new surface street features, but pedestrians at crosswalks appear as people walking while I'm stopped at intersections..