Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score Flaws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a 2018 Tesla Model 3 and predominantly utilize its self-driving feature. However, my Tesla insurance premiums are negatively impacted by frequent alerts for "Unsafe Following" and "Hard Braking." While it might seem like I'm critiquing the system defensively, I genuinely believe there may be a system flaw.

Here are my detailed observations:

1. Driver Focus vs. Alerts:
Although I'm advised to keep my eyes on the road, which I do diligently by using my mirrors and focusing ahead, I often receive alerts instructing me to turn the wheel. These alerts can be easily missed since my attention is on driving safely, not the car's screen.

2. Self-Driving Feature Concerns: The self-driving mode, a key reason for my purchase, has occasionally placed me in risky situations. It has failed to acknowledge nearby vehicles and emergency responders, and I've had to disengage it abruptly to prevent accidents. These incidents lead to the system marking down "Hard Braking" and "Unsafe Following," even though these actions were necessary responses to the car's behavior, and the alleged 3-second-no-fault rule here is either not long enough, or simply not working.

3. Normal Maneuvers Misclassified: Actions such as turning into my driveway or maneuvering in tight parking spaces are wrongly classified as "Aggressive Turning" or "Hard Braking." I have analyzed the data and cross-referenced it with my notes to pinpoint these discrepancies.

4. Challenges in Urban Driving: In densely populated areas, maintaining the recommended distance from other vehicles can be impractical during rush hour or in heavy traffic, making "Unsafe Following" alerts almost inevitable. Altering my driving to avoid these alerts could lead to confrontations or even traffic citations.

I adhere to the recommended practices for operating the vehicle, yet the self-driving mode sometimes does not comply with traffic laws, such as cutting through intersections or nearly causing collisions.

Despite these issues, I recognize the advanced engineering behind Tesla's technology. I am hopeful that Tesla will address these issues, as they not only affect my premiums but also pose broader safety risks to all users of the technology.

I will share my opinion on all the points above

1- Never had issues following the alerts while paying attention to the road, so not sure why you can’t

2- Never received those warnings, are you getting them when using FSD/Auto pilot or when you are driving?

3- Same as above, I have to disengage FSD/ AP when I reach home and often has to yank the steering to make it go to my driveway and haven’t seen those alerts.

4- I agree specially on vision only cars where AP can only do a distance of 2 and above but not 1. However I have never seen that warning even when I have closer yet safer gap(which car won’t do in AP) with the vehicle in front. Are you driving like bumper to bumper?

Btw how is insurance connected to your driving? Have you plugged in any device from them? That’s a bad idea in most cases unless you are a super safe driver(in which case you would anyways have lower insurance not needing it LoL )