Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions; New to Tesla and just took delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my MX Saturday before last. Several places on it where the panels didn't align well. Seals on the roof had gaps. One wheel had a small amount of curb rash. Took it in Monday to have it all looked at. It appears that the seals are just for appearance, and the real sealing of the interior occurs with the large seals between the door and body metal. Therefore, the seals are allowed to show gaps. ('Seal' is my term, I don't know what term they use.) I looked at a bunch of other MXs, and some do and some don't have gaps. I think Tesla needs to do better in the future, but these gaps aren't going to allow in the rain. So...

There was a spot where the chrome window trim stood out a bit from the piece next to it. Something was under the window which lifted it up and that lifted up the trim. Much better now that it's fixed.

The panel misalignment is another thing that they have tolerance for. The variation is not gruesome, and the other MXs I looked at had some of the same problems. So, nothing done there, and again, since it doesn't add wind noise, can't complain too much.

I did have a tiny hole in the finish on the hood. There must have been a tiny bubble in the finish on the hood that they got rid of. The clearcoat around that spot wasn't shiny and wiping it didn't return any luster, so they have decided to repaint the hood (using Tesla paint - I asked.) But that will be another appt.

When I went in today to pick up the car, they walked me around the issues and we discussed each of them. They had a technician come and explain some things, and when he saw the seal gaps, he said he'd look at it again when they got the car back for painting the hood.

So, my advice to people who are soon to pick up their cars is to take their checklists and look at other cars - several if they can - and get an idea in their heads what to expect, what is common, and what they can tolerate. Going in cold to inspect the vehicle for which you are paying a ton of hard-earned cash, can be an exercise in frustration. So much better to have expectations calibrated properly.