Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions on HEPA filter upgrade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was considering updating my 2017 Model S with the HEPA filter option and had a few (several!) questions:

- for those of you who did the upgrade, do you consider worth it?

- once you have the filter can you enable/disable it? or is it considered always on?

- how long does the filter last, and how much to replace it? Is it another 500$ expense for a new filter?

- from what I read when you enable BioDefense mode it puts air conditioning to the max. Is that true, and isn't it a bit noisy?

- is the SC doing the update or do they just send you home with the filter and instructions?

Thanks.

If you are handy then maybe you will save 300.00 by doing it yourself without the software upgrade for the button. I am not handy and lazy so I opted to have Tesla install it at home by mobile service. I do road trip to SoCal once or twice a year, I hate I5 therefore I always take 101 and HWY 1 so I can have a relax overnight stay at a winery or beach hotel. Seems like there is always road construction on HWY 1 so HEPA helps, and if I am forced to take I5 due to closure of HWY 1, the HEPA would be a must. Even if you do not care about the smell of bad environment, it does filter out quite a bit of pollutants since it is the main air filter. The mobile service tech was nice and the whole thing took about 45 minutes including checking and filling up my tires. I also learned how to gently click close the frunk. For me, it’s worth it. BTW, recommended replacement is every 36 months.

i had it installed a couple of months ago on my model s - and it actually made things worse. when i have it on it's always set on max ac setting and when im stopped at a traffic light it pulls in the fumes from the other cars/scooters - i guess bc it's still drawing in air from the outside? ... so it's actually better for me when idle at a traffic light to have it on the normal filter with the recirculation button on so it's not pulling in all the gas fumes from the other cars. is anyone else having this problem?

- from what I read when you enable BioDefense mode it puts air conditioning to the max. Is that true, and isn't it a bit noisy?
No, not in my experience-fan is set to 8 (not max) and recirculation is on. It is noticeably louder than typical HVAC operation but you get used to it. Ironically it does not filter out all bad smells as expected. Mine was factory installed and first filter change at 12 mos per SC recommendation at the time. 36 mos sounds too long for any air filter to me.