Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick question: Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any difference in the car’s vampire drain if left unlocked as opposed to locked? (In garage, so no sentry mode on)
The major contributor to vampire drain is the recharging of the 12 volt battery. It happens 4 times a day in my car when parked in the garage.
Put a charger on the 12 volt battery and there will be no vampire drain against the HVB.

I was just wondering what's "always" on: obviously with remote control via the fob the car is always alive to some extent, listening. Mine has gone through periods of excessive 12v charging - several times an hour at times but I couldn't tie them down to any particular thing like locking, or updated code.

I was just wondering what's "always" on: obviously with remote control via the fob the car is always alive to some extent, listening. Mine has gone through periods of excessive 12v charging - several times an hour at times but I couldn't tie them down to any particular thing like locking, or updated code.
The car is loaded with microprocessors that are always on.. As my 12 volt battery aged the charging frequency increased. I never got a warning that it needed to be replaced but I finally did it earlier this year with the OHMMU battery. They were propping up the 12 volt battery by draining the HVB.

The car is loaded with microprocessors that are always on.. As my 12 volt battery aged the charging frequency increased. I never got a warning that it needed to be replaced but I finally did it earlier this year with the OHMMU battery. They were propping up the 12 volt battery by draining the HVB.
That's probably my next purchase, although the cost here is prohibitive. Did you have any issues with it, or require any software changes?

That's probably my next purchase, although the cost here is prohibitive. Did you have any issues with it, or require any software changes?
No issues. I shut the car down, disconnected the old battery, removed it, installed the new battery, and reconnected it.
Actually there was one issue, The new battery was physically loose with the bolts tight so I had to insert some rubber or plastic, I forget, under the hold down clamps.

If you have never had the frunk tub out, take your time. The back piece of plastic comes out first followed by the two side pieces of plastic. They are held by spring clips and must be pulled straight up to get them to release.