Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner, First Impressions, Quick Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - just bought my first Tesla (and first EV), a 2022 Model S Plaid. It’s hard to describe how much fun I am having with it - I can see why people say they will never go back to ICE. I’m a car guy and have been daily driving a Porsche Cayenne GTS and have a 911 Turbo cabriolet as my fun car - which I thought was fast, but my parameters have been totally reset with the Plaid. The 911 is a long term keeper, the Cayenne I kept for now because the trade value was insulting.

I’m getting the hang of the tech and all, and find it pretty intuitive. A lot of the stuff appeals to the perpetual juvenile in me, as I would have designed a lot of it myself when I was 15 (a long time ago). Mine is white, black interior, black 19” wheels, with the upgraded yoke - which I really like. I wanted to do something totally different than what I was used to, and boy is this all totally different. I’m having the universal wall charger installed on Friday.

Quick question - in the Tesla app I see under upgrades the ability to add 2 more years and 25k miles to the warranty for $3100 - which seems like a decent deal. I only have 18k miles on it now, so extending to 75k and 2028 is appealing. Does anyone know if this offer is time limited? In other words, will it disappear as an option in the app at any time? Just curious if I need to jump on it now. Most of the aftermarket warranties would start the clock on me now, while I still have 2 1/2 years left on the original warranty - kinda dumb to pay for that coverage.

Last - I had a deposit on a Lucid Air Grand Touring and went for a test drive last week. Very nice car, great interior, didn’t fit me well though, and the deciding factor for me is the supercharger network. Tesla was smart and so far ahead of the curve with that buildout. I also wonder if Lucid will make it until the end of the year.

Happy to be here - thanks for all the wisdom shared on the forum as it was very helpful as I did my research.

it's better for future Tesla owners to have Lucid survive. they are making a great car that will force Tesla to keep improving - but only if they survive.
no one has the SC network (for now) and I think that alone makes all the "better" individual aspects that other brands have in different models moot.
i hope you enjoy the heck out of your plaid!

Reactions: bmah
Just thought of another question - is there a way to tell if a car had FSD? I bought from a highline dealer who took it in on trade - never passed through Tesla’s hands. I could swear when I test drove it the software page said FSD Capable or Enabled - can’t remember which - but now that I took delivery it says only FSD computer. Doesn’t really matter but would like to know if possible. I could be wrong about what I saw.

Just thought of another question - is there a way to tell if a car had FSD? I bought from a highline dealer who took it in on trade - never passed through Tesla’s hands. I could swear when I test drove it the software page said FSD Capable or Enabled - can’t remember which - but now that I took delivery it says only FSD computer. Doesn’t really matter but would like to know if possible. I could be wrong about what I saw.
Please click the Software menu.

If it's paid, it should say

Included Package

Dump the itsy bitsy commuter dork 19s and get the Track Pack with proper tires and wheels. It’s better than Porsche 911 ccb hwd braking experience in a big arse toaster sedan with world class speed.

Enjoy!

Hi all - just bought my first Tesla (and first EV), a 2022 Model S Plaid. It’s hard to describe how much fun I am having with it - I can see why people say they will never go back to ICE. I’m a car guy and have been daily driving a Porsche Cayenne GTS and have a 911 Turbo cabriolet as my fun car - which I thought was fast, but my parameters have been totally reset with the Plaid. The 911 is a long term keeper, the Cayenne I kept for now because the trade value was insulting.

I’m getting the hang of the tech and all, and find it pretty intuitive. A lot of the stuff appeals to the perpetual juvenile in me, as I would have designed a lot of it myself when I was 15 (a long time ago). Mine is white, black interior, black 19” wheels, with the upgraded yoke - which I really like. I wanted to do something totally different than what I was used to, and boy is this all totally different. I’m having the universal wall charger installed on Friday.

Quick question - in the Tesla app I see under upgrades the ability to add 2 more years and 25k miles to the warranty for $3100 - which seems like a decent deal. I only have 18k miles on it now, so extending to 75k and 2028 is appealing. Does anyone know if this offer is time limited? In other words, will it disappear as an option in the app at any time? Just curious if I need to jump on it now. Most of the aftermarket warranties would start the clock on me now, while I still have 2 1/2 years left on the original warranty - kinda dumb to pay for that coverage.
Congratulations!!

Does the step down in overall quality of fit , finish and materials bother you at all? Porsche quality is simply on another level.

Once you push the accelerator pedal, any feeling of a lower quality car just goes out the window though. 😁

Regarding your question about the extended warranty - definitely consider getting it. I don't know though if it will start at the end of the current original warranty though.

I have a 2016 75D which is no longer under warranty and just had to replace all 3 of the battery coolant valves. Almost $2k CAD. More than half of that was the labour.

You can extend the warranty up until the mileage and time deadline. But not much past, so set a reminder. It will extend from the end of the original warranty.

I did not extend mine and wouldn’t have used it anyway, so my gamble paid off. My 2017 eventually had a heater core failure but that failure would have been after the extended warranty would have already expired.

it's better for future Tesla owners to have Lucid survive. they are making a great car that will force Tesla to keep improving - but only if they survive.
no one has the SC network (for now) and I think that alone makes all the "better" individual aspects that other brands have in different models moot.
i hope you enjoy the heck out of your plaid!
Technically if it has a magic dock then other brands can already use it. Just relies on it having those installed

Dump the itsy bitsy commuter dork 19s and get the Track Pack with proper tires and wheels. It’s better than Porsche 911 ccb hwd braking experience in a big arse toaster sedan with world class speed.

Enjoy!
Haha - well, I’m an itsy bitsy commuter dork myself, and max range is more important to me anyway. Also, the chance of me taking this car on a track is exactly zero, so I’ll save that $20k and drive the 911 if I get a chance to go on a track.

Reactions: SilverGS
Congratulations!!

Does the step down in overall quality of fit , finish and materials bother you at all? Porsche quality is simply on another level.

Once you push the accelerator pedal, any feeling of a lower quality car just goes out the window though. 😁

Regarding your question about the extended warranty - definitely consider getting it. I don't know though if it will start at the end of the current original warranty though.

I have a 2016 75D which is no longer under warranty and just had to replace all 3 of the battery coolant valves. Almost $2k CAD. More than half of that was the labour.
Thanks! My Porsches have been rock solid and to this day I have zero squeaks, rattles, or issues. I’m at 150k on my Cayenne and it gets used like a daily driver would - I love Porsches. But I can’t say I’m let down at all with my Tesla - I guess I also have different expectations. I’m having a blast and look forward to every drive right now honeymoon phase for sure. 😜

Reactions: SilverGS
I would get confirmation on dates warranty covers. This may be dated, but found at Tesla com

Attachments

• IMG_0263.png
    IMG_0263.png
    958.7 KB · Views: 27
If you have access to the car via the app, then you can scroll all the way down to the bottom and click on Specs & Warranty. If it says Full Self-Driving Capability, then it has FSD. Both Full Self-Driving Capability & Autopilot should be listed on there.

Yeah this part I know - what I’m trying to figure out is if it was removed by Tesla and how can I find out if it was paid for by the original owner.
The motor vehicle purchase agreement should include the information.

Since it's software enabled, the original owner could have taken some incentives and gave up the FSD in the old car, so the motor vehicle purchase agreement doesn't tell you what happened after the purchase.

Maybe I’m not asking correctly - I know my car does not have FSD right now. I can look on the app and on the software page in the car and see it is not there. I want to find out if this car did have FSD before I bought it and if Tesla somehow removed it. I do not know the prior owner, as he traded it in for a Rivian at a highline dealer who knows nothing about it. Will the Tesla service center tell me if it did have it, and if so why it would have been removed? I thought it had it on my test drive but is not there once I bought the car. I have heard of Tesla doing this kind of stuff before so that’s what I’m trying to figure out. Would they reactivate it if it was paid for before?

Maybe I’m not asking correctly - I know my car does not have FSD right now. I can look on the app and on the software page in the car and see it is not there. I want to find out if this car did have FSD before I bought it and if Tesla somehow removed it. I do not know the prior owner, as he traded it in for a Rivian at a highline dealer who knows nothing about it. Will the Tesla service center tell me if it did have it, and if so why it would have been removed? I thought it had it on my test drive but is not there once I bought the car. I have heard of Tesla doing this kind of stuff before so that’s what I’m trying to figure out. Would they reactivate it if it was paid for before?
From a pessimistic view point, you can kiss your FSD goodbye.

It doesn't matter how it disappeared, the process to get it back is an uphill battle.

Tesla could have made a mistake in its audit and erroneously removed it. How are you going to prove that you have owned it? You don't have any paper trails to prove it.

Tesla does have the paper trails but they are not going to volunteer to prove that you are right and they are wrong.

Tesla has removed FSD from cars they took in trade-in and later sold at auction. Sometimes the FSD wasn't removed fast enough and it ended up in the hands of the next owner only to be removed later during an audit. That doesn't appear to be the case here unless the car you bought had been purchased used through Tesla and quickly sold/traded.

Another possibility is that the preiovus owner only had an FSD subscription that wasn't ended/deactivated until after you took possesion.