Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

R&D of Car and Truck Companies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems TESLA does much better R&D spending (others really just wasteful ??)

============
Six Car Makers Make the List of Top 20 R&D Spenders

2015 - 2018 GM ~ 27.7 Billion
GM's research and development expenditures 2018 | Statistic

2010 - 2018 Tesla <$6 billion ?? please double check

R&D in the automotive sector

https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/...ml?ticket=ST-2714889-1QKPvmlPbtv9NctLE6AQ-ap6

And I'm not sure I believe these numbers, do they seem right?? perhaps this includes autonomous research??
American Auto Industry
Research & Development

The U.S. Auto Industry is a Leader in Research & Development

Automakers and their suppliers are the world’s second biggest investor in R&D. Automakers and their suppliers invest more than $115 billion in R&D each year, or more than $1,300 of R&D for each vehicle sold last year (worldwide).

This $115 billion represents approximately 16% of the world’s R&D: more than the hardware, software, electronics, chemicals, aerospace, defense, or oil & gas sectors. Automakers and their suppliers rank second out of 41 industries. (Only pharmaceutical companies invested more.) Autos moved to second place from third in 2014, in part, because they increased their R&D by 9.9% over the prior year, versus an industry-wide increase of 6.8%.

I am a gearhead, I do not own my Tesla because it is electric and frankly where I live it is 55% coal powered.

That said ICE manufacturers are spending huge sums to adapt things like VVT, DGI, cylinder deactivation and developing transmissions with a rediculous number of gears and cost so much Ford and GM have to work together all for tiny economy gains.
Also figure the other companies offer more than 3 models and r&d for a new body and all costs money even if the underlying mechanicals are the same.