Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raced a Huracan, Vipers, some Hellcats and others with videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I went to a 1/2 mine racing event in my Model 3 Performance. I expected I'd do pretty good off of the line but get run down by most cars before the finish line. There are a lot of high horsepower cars that show up. A lot of people underrate their horsepower as well. But I got a bunch of runs in and was quite surprised how well the Model 3 did. 675 horsepower through an automatic transmission or over 800 horsepower in a manual seemed to be what it would take to beat me in the 1/2 mile. The only thing that kept up with me off of the line was a jeep track hawk that I'm pretty sure was over 1,100 horsepower. I beat almost everything else over the 1/4 mile but the fast cars would pass me right at the finish line. Especially towards the end of the day when the car wasn't running as fast. My best run was 136mph and my slowest was 126mph. I'm not sure if it was the heat or state if charge reducing power but it was noticeably slower after hot lapping at the end of the day. I'll post the videos to this thread as I get them uploaded. Some are crappy cell phone videos recording the back up camera because my gopro was facing in a forward direction and most cars were never seen after the start.

Two things:

(1) Nice vids however....you NEED a rear facing GoPro as well.....you totally lose the effect not being able to see the pacing on the guy next to/behind you who isn’t even in the Vid after launch. It’s just you looking straight ahead. I’m like “where is the guy”? (I know where...behind you but what is his spacing on you and exactly how close is he to you/how bad are you beating him)? THATS THE WHOLE THING.

(2). What airfield? LOVE runway Drags!

Ski

Two things:

(1) Nice vids however....you NEED a rear facing GoPro as well.....you totally lose the effect not being able to see the pacing on the guy next to/behind you who isn’t even in the Vid after launch. It’s just you looking straight ahead. I’m like “where is the guy”? (I know where...behind you but what is his spacing on you and exactly how close is he to you/how bad are you beating him)? THATS THE WHOLE THING.

(2). What airfield? LOVE runway Drags!

Ski

I only have one gopro for now and really thought the competition would be close enough to be in the angled view.

Gila Bend municipal airport.

I just got the car a couple weeks ago. Haven't figured out how to get that all set up yet.
Ah, ok. Super simple. Just get a large USB memory stick that can handle the continuous read/write duties, configure it to be FAT32 format, and then plug it in.

I'm not sure if it was the heat or state if charge reducing power but it was noticeably slower after hot lapping at the end of the day.

The car will noticeably pull power at lower states of charge, or high battery temp. Did you run with track mode on? Top off at the nearby super charger at any point during the day?

Ah, ok. Super simple. Just get a large USB memory stick that can handle the continuous read/write duties, configure it to be FAT32 format, and then plug it in.

The car will noticeably pull power at lower states of charge, or high battery temp. Did you run with track mode on? Top off at the nearby super charger at any point during the day?

I did some runs with and without track mode on at different states of charge but it didn't seem to make a difference. I started the day by topping off at the supercharger. But by the time I got down to 50% charge there wasn't much time left in the event so I just kept making runs.

I noticed in one of the interior cell phone videos I have that the little bar that turns green on the regen side wasn't going all the way to the right anymore and was actually dropping to the left like I was lifting off the accelerator even though it was floored. Next time I'm out running it hard I'll use that to see what has the bigger effect on performance.

Very cool and interesting, thanks for posting. Your observations seem legit, my 2016 CTS-V had 640 HP, I attached my runs at a half mile event. It was my first and I admit, my launch control use was PATHETIC. Still, I was consistent. Would have been a fun race, V vs 3!

Attachments

• 6105664E-7CAD-43F5-AAFF-E42F9B0F08C8.JPG
    6105664E-7CAD-43F5-AAFF-E42F9B0F08C8.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 78
Another Model 3 Performance showed up part of the way through the day. I had just run but wanted to race him so I jumped back into the lanes to ask if he wanted to race. It was his first run and we were both at about 70% charge. I was in track mode not sure about him. I got a good jump on him off of the line. About at the 1/4 mile he started catching me. I just barely beat him but you can see the speed difference as he passes just after the finish line.

This is someone else's video from the event. My car is the second race shown. It's the view from the 750hp Shelby Mustang. The last part of the video might be considered NSFW just a heads up, it's still YouTube friendly but caught mere by surprise.