Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar interference near airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mattack4000

Oct 1, 2017
CA
I basically have the same commute daily for the past couple of years. Two particular spots that have always been problem are near the airport. My question is can airports have an effect on our autopilot and radar cruise control. In one spot, if my AP isn't engaged already, the system will temporary not allow cruise to be turned on. I can only turn it back on when I get to the other side of the airport.

The other spot is a slow sharp turn that constantly forces the car to have false reading and therefore slam on the brakes. It only happens at low speed, not high speed.

Makes sense. Airports have big radar systems to track flights in their airspace. Interference would definitely be a possibility. Eventually we should get to the point where machine vision from the cameras can provide similar distance data to objects on the road, much as our human eyeballs do to our human brains today.

Took my S to service yesterday. Mentioned that I’ve had a weird NOA experience several times where ( with no other cars around me ) I click to confirm lane change, AP begins lane change only to swerve back into original lane half through, then attempts lane change again. Scares the crap outta me.

He asked if this happened near an airport. I asked why? He stated they recently learned of an issue with ‘radio waves’ From airport towers interfering with the car and that after a couple of reports all around the same area they took a couple of cars out to investigate and hit the same issue.

Seems bizarre and I would have thought that there would be no frequency overlap between anything the FCC certifies for use in the US and anything used by ATC. But who knows. I’m in NJ so I assumed he was taking about Newark.

FWIW, my issue did not happen near Newark every time but it probably happened near there once.

Had a long chat with Tesla today. I had a "blind spot warning rear view camera limited" pop-up three times over the last two weeks.
After the first one they said it was a calibration issue and that it would disappear by itself. So it did.

The last couple of days it happened again. I chatted with them today and after pulling logs and escalating the issue to the diagnostic team, Tesla asked if I live near an airport or that I commute past an airport. Well there is a very small airport about 10 miles from where I live. Apparently the airport influences the cameras, that is why the "blind spot warning" message came up. The made a reset over the air so the message cleared. Looking back, the message did came up whenever I came close to that airport.

Next time when it happens again I should file a bug report and make an appointment with the service centre they said so they can somehow do something to take care of it. Weird.