Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio sounds like 1970s record player

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Well, in the latest case of Tesla can't make cars do normal things. Starting a few days ago, any radio source sounds like snap, crackle, pop. Any source. Any volume. If you roll the volume up/down quickly it cuts in/out like a $2 walmart radio.

Car didn't do this new. Didn't do this a few weeks ago. So tired of these things with this company. Can't wait to have some 12 year old who works there condescendingly tell me how this is an improvement and how it's "supposed to work". And that there is nothing they can do.

It may be difficult to hear being picked up by a phone, but in person, it's choppy as hell. It also sounds choppy just listening to the radio. It's worked FINE for almost 4 years, then another update, another thing breaks. I am so sick of this car and so sick of "service". I'm over the car, I'm over "service" I hate them with a passion. GM was 100x better to me for a car 1/2 the cost.

If you do the steering wheel reset, it goes away, but then comes back. Not sure of the duration yet, mostly by next day. Maybe shorter.

Tesla wants $185 diagnostic fee when the car is 1. under warranty 2. their update did this 3. I have to deal with these asshats.

I'm not worried, I won my last lawsuit, and if this doesn't get fixed, I now know how the process works and sure as hell won't be waiting around 12 months to file!

It would be JUST SUPER if Tesla could stop breaking my car.

So, just to summarize: Tesla "updates" my car, which breaks the audio in my radio
Tesla "asks" for $185 "diagnostic fee"

Last edited:
How it should sound:

How it sounds after approx 20-30 min:

I understand it may not be obvious filmed with an iphone, put on youtube, and played through computer speakers.
But in person, my wife and I can easily hear it.

Can't wait to be told it's a known firmware characteristic and they can't fix it!

I love music, I pay for XM. I paid for a working radio in my car. The cracks/pops/etc are infuriating when I'm just trying to listen to music. Even at a volume low enough to talk with my passenger you can hear it! at louder volumes, it only gets worse.

Dropped off at the local service center, where a person (I'm not naming names, don't know how they'd feel about it). took the time to have an honest conversation about the situation and firmware. This is how service should be. Not this anonymous texting back/forth/delay/bull crap. I want to thank that person, for their time to discuss many things tesla, cars, etc.

While I'm not happy about the situation, I am less upset with a real world conversation, which is a stark contrast to how I was previously treated at this location. (lied to, gaslit, berated, etc).

As for the issue: I am 95% certain it's firmware. my loaner vehicle, also a Model X, is on the same firmware. Without even thinking about my radio/audio problem. I got in the car and went to turn up the radio (FM).... SAME EXACT ISSUE.

So, while I am partially relieved it's not a targeted 'attack' (Unless it was REALLY coordinated), on my love of music, it still worked a few weeks ago, and yet again, I wake up to a broken car thanks to lack of quality control on firmware updates. Followed up by a company with service centers that 'can't fix it'. Leaving me with no resolve other than back to small claims court.

Anyone else tired of getting in their car and discovering what tesla broke today?

Am I the only one who paid over $80,000 for car and believe if it worked when I bought it, it should work today?

Discovered the equalizers also wreck the audio.

I won't be giving tesla 12 months to fix this issue before taking them to court like I did with my XM favorites. 60 days from March 17th, I will be filing. They broke my car.

I’ve had the same problem with my 2018 model s. I took it in more than once and the answer was consistent: known SW problem, were working on it. I was ready to sell the car. It was resolved with Feb’23 update but then the next update overwrote that and it was back. 2023.8.26.8 seems to have resolved it. Fingers crossed it’s permanent