Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Deflector Needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is totally subjective, and I haven’t seen one of these in person, but in pictures these look really minimalistic to me. Doesn’t look bad at all...but like I said, I’ve never seen one in real life
I have the Amazon one. It doesn’t look bad on the car. I have a 5/19 build and it definitely happens. To be clear, if your car is in the rain and you open the trunk, the water rolls off on to the back window and DIRECTLY into the trunk. Elon should be embarrassed he ever let the car ship this way. Spoiler helps tremendously.

However, the problem with the spoiler is that it’s not made with the best precision and there is a slight upward bend in mine. Over the several months I’ve had it, this bend has overpowered the 3M tape used to secure it and one side is now about an eighth of an inch off the glass. Don’t think it will reduce the effectiveness but I’m afraid At some point it will fail and fall off. I’ve been meaning to try and find some more 3M tape to attempt a fix. Just haven’t made the time.

Maybe the difference in experience some people are having is due to the angle of the car when its parked? It wouldn't be too hard to check, but I bet the higher the front end the worse the problem is. For instance, I usually back up into my driveway, so my front end is significantly lower than my rear. And never have an issue with rain, but I've never tried opening it in a torrential downpour. I bet if I was parked the other way I might be telling a different story.

I tested my March 2020 build on a level surface, and water drips into the trunk from the back window (when the trunk is open).

I just got my rain deflector, so I will take a brief video of before and after, and a few photos of it installed, sometime this weekend.

So here's a video of the water going into the trunk, on a level surface (apologies for not cutting it short)

Then, here's a video of what happens after the deflector is on:

And here are some pictures of how it looks in place:

IMG_1224.jpeg
IMG_1225.jpeg
IMG_1226.jpeg

There is a small dent in it (unsure if it was from shipping, the box was bent on arrival - and if I hadn't had to get it shipped to my brother in the US to have him ship it to me in Canada, I might have sent it back for a new one), but it is super secure in place, and I will be very surprised if it has any significant impact on range - probably about as much of an impact as the mud guards - i.e. minimal at worst.

It doesn't impact visibility, or the brake light, or the trunk.

I am quite happy with it (would be happier without the dent, but such is life).

Happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Helpful
Reactions: InfinitySky
So here's a video of the water going into the trunk, on a level surface (apologies for not cutting it short)

Then, here's a video of what happens after the deflector is on:

And here are some pictures of how it looks in place:

View attachment 574216 View attachment 574217 View attachment 574219

There is a small dent in it (unsure if it was from shipping, the box was bent on arrival - and if I hadn't had to get it shipped to my brother in the US to have him ship it to me in Canada, I might have sent it back for a new one), but it is super secure in place, and I will be very surprised if it has any significant impact on range - probably about as much of an impact as the mud guards - i.e. minimal at worst.

It doesn't impact visibility, or the brake light, or the trunk.

I am quite happy with it (would be happier without the dent, but such is life).

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for the videos! I’m assuming this is the Basenor one off Amazon?

My March 2018 build was before the trunk seal revision. When opening the trunk when it's wet (doesn't have to be actively raining), water cascades off the trunk lid, down the rear glass, and goes directly inside from the top of the trunk opening. All the water misses the drainage channel at the bottom of the rear glass completely.

Has anyone asked if service can change the seal under warranty or even at cost? It doesn't rain much here, but it's an annoyance when it happens. I'd take dripping toward the outer edge of the trunk near the bumper like the first video every time over water pouring directly into the contents of the trunk.

I’d be inclined to get one if the manufacturers attempted something which stayed under the trunk lid and only popped up when open. Not a fan of “spoilers” unless required to counteract lift and only when the driving regime requires since, even small, they’re drag producers.

Considering this has been a known issue since before production vehicles even rolled off the line, I am surprised Tesla hasn’t developed something. On the plus side, they closed off the trunk vent and added a garnish (gotta go third party for the cotton).

But, hey, we have 8 cup holders so at least we know where to fill the cups.

I have had my M3 for about a month and a half now. I don’t think it’s even rained once since I’ve driven it, but I have seen a lot of complaints about rain pouring into the trunk when opened if it’s raining outside. Has this been fixed or is it still a big issue?

If it is, what is the recommended fix? I saw rpmtesla sells a rain deflector, but I also found one on amazon for about 1/3 of the cost: https://www.amazon.com/BASENOR-Tesla-Deflector-Window-Spoiler/dp/B0859WJW6X

Anyone have firsthand experience with the Amazon rain deflector? Do either of these affect range at all? I appreciate any recommendations on how I can prepare for some heavy rains this winter

I have no experience with the deflector, but I can tell you with all honesty that my 2020 M3 totally gets water in the trunk when I open it in the rain, or shortly after. It just runs down the window at right in it goes.
Seems to me that the deflector would work well. I may give it a try

However, the problem with the spoiler is that it’s not made with the best precision and there is a slight upward bend in mine. Over the several months I’ve had it, this bend has overpowered the 3M tape used to secure it and one side is now about an eighth of an inch off the glass. Don’t think it will reduce the effectiveness but I’m afraid At some point it will fail and fall off. I’ve been meaning to try and find some more 3M tape to attempt a fix. Just haven’t made the time.

I also purchased the rain deflector from Amazon and have experienced something similar - each end has lost adhesion and sits about an eighth of an inch off the glass. I contacted the vendor and they offered me money to get more 3M tape.

I just got the 2021 Model 3 and read that they changed the design to deal with the water running into trunk issue. It hasn’t rained heavily when I was by the car so I haven’t been able to check. if you have the 2021, has the design change worked, or do you still need a deflector?

My March 2018 build was before the trunk seal revision. When opening the trunk when it's wet (doesn't have to be actively raining), water cascades off the trunk lid, down the rear glass, and goes directly inside from the top of the trunk opening. All the water misses the drainage channel at the bottom of the rear glass completely.

Has anyone asked if service can change the seal under warranty or even at cost? It doesn't rain much here, but it's an annoyance when it happens. I'd take dripping toward the outer edge of the trunk near the bumper like the first video every time over water pouring directly into the contents of the trunk.
I was at Tesla service just now and they refused to do anything about it.