Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking in trunk but not from the gasket- broken weld or hinge holes leaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 LR Dual Motor- I used to get a few drips through the passenger side felt liner, where the vent holes are on the underside of the inside of the trunk.. not a big deal, I have a rubber liner. However, after a very dry summer, today started our rainy season and I opened the trunk to find the driver’s side is now leaking really badly. Throughout the day it got worse, until I had about a half inch of standing water on the mat. I had to dry it out with a towel. I got it inside the garage and dried out, and tried to pour water down the sides of the trunk area along the hinges and it’s not leaking through. I have seen others complain about this but I haven’t seen a solution.. It’s going to rain here for the next 2-3 months, so I really need to get this fixed up.

Water is filling up the between the layers of metal on the driver’s side, and then overflowing out of the corner as seen in the second pic.

Attachments

• IMG_3741.jpeg
    IMG_3741.jpeg
    687 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3740.jpeg
    IMG_3740.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3743.jpeg
    IMG_3743.jpeg
    617.6 KB · Views: 109
If you can get someone to spray water around the back of the car including around the rear window you could get into the trunk with a flashlight and see the leaks. Does the rear seat fold down so you can access the trunk from the rear seat?
^This, otherwise if you seal it from the inside out that could get rusty with the years to follow. If the leak is that big it shouldn't be hard to locate the entry point

That's the problem with Tesla: they spend more time making aquarium video games, than making cars that actually have to be driven on regular roads in real environmental conditions with other traffic.

Last edited: