Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rally Armor mud flaps - clips are falling out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a set of Rally Armor flaps on December 9th, 67 days ago.

2 flaps have only one clip left. 1 flap has 2 left, and 1 has all three still on.

I examined some of the clips that remain, and the problem is that the metal just starts to become loose and no longer have inward pressure. Instead of making things right, this is what Rally Armor support sent me:

"C T - Staff
While we do not provide free lifetime replacement fasteners, we provide access to replacement parts to assist customers with mishaps.

Your initial ticket states all the clips are falling off. The clips are equipped with locking teeth that physically embed themselves into the mudflap and fender flare. Pulling a clip away would simply embed the clip even stronger into the mud flap. The likelyhood of an entire mounting system coming off would require a review of your installation ensuring they are properly placed.

Should you require to purchase additional clips, the items will remain in your cart for your convenience."

The price of the metal clips are $23 ($13 + $10 shipping). If you look at the instructions here (http://www.rallyarmor.com/tesla_instructions/IMF72.pdf), it's literally just a photo of the clips and an arrow of them going towards the flap and panel. There's literally no way I could have done this incorrectly. The way "CT" says "we do not provide free lifetime replacement fasteners" makes it seem like I bought these second hand off craigslist 5 years ago or something. I paid full price for these just 2 months ago direct from them. If you look at the warranty - Rally Armor, they say straight up that they don't provide support to any of their products. I would avoid Rally Armor mud flaps, it doesn't seem like a quality product.

Are anybody elses clips coming off?

I bought a set of Rally Armor flaps on December 9th, 67 days ago.

2 flaps have only one clip left. 1 flap has 2 left, and 1 has all three still on.

I examined some of the clips that remain, and the problem is that the metal just starts to become loose and no longer have inward pressure. Instead of making things right, this is what Rally Armor support sent me:

"C T - Staff
While we do not provide free lifetime replacement fasteners, we provide access to replacement parts to assist customers with mishaps.

Your initial ticket states all the clips are falling off. The clips are equipped with locking teeth that physically embed themselves into the mudflap and fender flare. Pulling a clip away would simply embed the clip even stronger into the mud flap. The likelyhood of an entire mounting system coming off would require a review of your installation ensuring they are properly placed.

Should you require to purchase additional clips, the items will remain in your cart for your convenience."

The price of the metal clips are $23 ($13 + $10 shipping). If you look at the instructions here (http://www.rallyarmor.com/tesla_instructions/IMF72.pdf), it's literally just a photo of the clips and an arrow of them going towards the flap and panel. There's literally no way I could have done this incorrectly. The way "CT" says "we do not provide free lifetime replacement fasteners" makes it seem like I bought these second hand off craigslist 5 years ago or something. I paid full price for these just 2 months ago direct from them. If you look at the warranty - Rally Armor, they say straight up that they don't provide support to any of their products. I would avoid Rally Armor mud flaps, it doesn't seem like a quality product.

Are anybody elses clips coming off?
I just ordered a set for my MYP. I plan to follow this YT installation video; check out at 6:00; he's talking about the clips.
I currently have a set of Rally Armor flaps on my 2019 M3P, and I like them. Have been solid so far.

This is the first post I have read regarding issues with the retaining clips of the Rally Armor mudflaps. Rally Armor developed the clips for the Tesla Model Y mud flaps. Rally Armor did not rush their Model Y mud flaps to market. In the winter of 2020 - 2021 there were few mud flaps available for the Tesla Model Y (at the time there was one company in Canada they was selling mud flaps specifically made for the Model Y) until Tesla introduced front mud flaps in mid to late winter in 2021. Rally Armor did not sell mud flaps for the Model Y until they were satisfied that the retaining clips work as intended. Perhaps Rally Armor should include a few spare clips in case some fall off. Maybe the clips came off in a car wash.

Full disclosure, I use the Tesla front mud flaps.

This is the first post I have read regarding issues with the retaining clips of the Rally Armor mudflaps. Rally Armor developed the clips for the Tesla Model Y mud flaps. Rally Armor did not rush their Model Y mud flaps to market. In the winter of 2020 - 2021 there were few mud flaps available for the Tesla Model Y (at the time there was one company in Canada they was selling mud flaps specifically made for the Model Y) until Tesla introduced front mud flaps in mid to late winter in 2021. Rally Armor did not sell mud flaps for the Model Y until they were satisfied that the retaining clips work as intended. Perhaps Rally Armor should include a few spare clips in case some fall off. Maybe the clips came off in a car wash.

Full disclosure, I use the Tesla front mud flaps.
How is just having front mud flaps working out? My other car, Toyota, came with mud flaps, and the car we traded in, Honda Odyssey, also had mud flaps so I never gave it a thought.

I saw a video online for basenor mud flaps, and the guy with black MYP did not unscrew the rear bolt behind the wheel, so I got them. After getting them from Amazon, the rear did have the bolt slot. I noticed my Toyotas rear mud flaps also was bolted down under the bumper behind the rear wheel.

I am thinking about just cutting it out with a knife or something(see image), and making just like the front install. Since it has 3 points of contact and a place for clip,I figure ifs it’s good enough for the front, it should be ok for the rear. Plus, I figure if rally armor rear flaps are installed without the rear bolt, basenor could as well. Will have to see

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 103
I went with EV mudflaps over 2 years ago. Been through 2 winters and almost a 3rd now. They get packed with snow and ice which can weigh quite a bit. Still look like new and are secure as the day I installed them. Metal clips and the like will not last up here with our winters. Instead of using the screws shown in the video, I elected to use plastic rivets which will never corrode. Highly recommended.

How is just having front mud flaps working out? My other car, Toyota, came with mud flaps, and the car we traded in, Honda Odyssey, also had mud flaps so I never gave it a thought.

I saw a video online for basenor mud flaps, and the guy with black MYP did not unscrew the rear bolt behind the wheel, so I got them. After getting them from Amazon, the rear did have the bolt slot. I noticed my Toyotas rear mud flaps also was bolted down under the bumper behind the rear wheel.

I am thinking about just cutting it out with a knife or something(see image), and making just like the front install. Since it has 3 points of contact and a place for clip,I figure ifs it’s good enough for the front, it should be ok for the rear. Plus, I figure if rally armor rear flaps are installed without the rear bolt, basenor could as well. Will have to see
The Tesla (front only) mud flaps have been working well since I installed them mid-winter 2021. We don't usually get large amounts of snow here in the DC area. The last 5 years there has been little snow. I have not had any issue with the Tesla mud flaps rubbing on driveways or speed bumps. The plastic retainer clips have all stayed intact as far as I can see. I don't use an automatic car wash so your results may be different. I have never felt that the Tesla Model Y needs rear mud flaps other than for aesthetics. The rear of my Tesla Model Y gets dirtier, faster than the rest of the exterior because of the way that wind and water flow over the vehicle. Rear mud flaps would not do anything to change this flow down the hatch and by the rear bumper.

The Tesla (front only) mud flaps have been working well since I installed them mid-winter 2021. We don't usually get large amounts of snow here in the DC area. The last 5 years there has been little snow. I have not had any issue with the Tesla mud flaps rubbing on driveways or speed bumps. The plastic retainer clips have all stayed intact as far as I can see. I don't use an automatic car wash so your results may be different. I have never felt that the Tesla Model Y needs rear mud flaps other than for aesthetics. The rear of my Tesla Model Y gets dirtier, faster than the rest of the exterior because of the way that wind and water flow over the vehicle. Rear mud flaps would not do anything to change this flow down the hatch and by the rear bumper.
Makes sense. I too am from DMV area as well.

I have Tesla flaps I never used. I didnt catch until I got them that a: they were only front and b: they had to use sticky tape to be assembled.. yeah.. not so much. I end up with these from Tesmain which look a lot like other on Amazon.. install was painless.. they are not smooth on the face which means they accumulate snow but so far, they have survived. They use the plastic rivets..

I have Tesla flaps I never used. I didnt catch until I got them that a: they were only front and b: they had to use sticky tape to be assembled.. yeah.. not so much. I end up with these from Tesmain which look a lot like other on Amazon.. install was painless.. they are not smooth on the face which means they accumulate snow but so far, they have survived. They use the plastic rivets..
The Tesla front mud flaps come with plastic clips (these clips are slightly longer than the factory clips used in the wheel well liner.) Perhaps you are thinking of the Tesla front license plate holder. The Tesla front license plate holder uses two strips of 3M automotive trim tape to secure the holder to the front bumper.

Nope. The flaps I got froom tesla were in two parts. A short flap and an extension that made it usable but had double stick tape too hold it in place plus rivits that passed through.

Attachments

• 5AFDC69B-809D-4124-BA03-02DF96889728.jpeg
    5AFDC69B-809D-4124-BA03-02DF96889728.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 92AA091F-DEE7-43FA-9E2B-38BBA1448159.jpeg
    92AA091F-DEE7-43FA-9E2B-38BBA1448159.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 111
So I put the basenor mud flaps but cut the rear slot where it’s suppose to attach the the bottom of rear bumper. It installed well and hope it holds up. It’s pretty solid.

Attachments

• E96C91ED-9B28-4D16-8112-CEB09038AE2C.jpeg
    E96C91ED-9B28-4D16-8112-CEB09038AE2C.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 529B86DF-A632-4E1E-AD62-B1F85D11F776.jpeg
    529B86DF-A632-4E1E-AD62-B1F85D11F776.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 5444F090-78BF-4D16-B623-56EECD912778.jpeg
    5444F090-78BF-4D16-B623-56EECD912778.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 102
  • 4DAE15FF-D600-450B-8F29-BD76232C6F17.jpeg
    4DAE15FF-D600-450B-8F29-BD76232C6F17.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 114
My wife just came back from running an errand in a small snow storm. This is how much junk gets onto them and why proper fastening is required. ;)

View attachment 908281
That is sooooooo typical in snow country! I had so much snow in the wheel wells after a trip last week in Montana that my suspension basically consisted of the tire flex! The real problem with this is that this accumulation of snow can/will freeze and if it hits anything, the snow/ice will break off the flaps. Cupped flaps make this problem worse and I've gone through a couple sets of rear flaps. I just ordered the Rally Armour set, hoping that since they're a flat surface and have generally good reviews they'll do better 🤔

I've been on quite the mud flap journey on my Y since I lowered it. I've tried all the molded plastic guards from Basenor and others. Last weekend, I finally switched to RallyArmor. The reason is that to my knowledge, they are the only flexible flaps. This completely solved my problem of scraping on speed bumps and breaking them off.

During installation, I noticed they give you specific measurements of where to place the clips. Me, being me said whatever, I'll just clip them where I like. What I noticed is that if you don't place them where they tell you, they will not slide all the way on because they will hit parts of the inner fender. This made me have to remove and try to re-adjust a few clips. To the original poster, could this have been the cause of yours coming off? After trying to remove a clip to reposition it, I feel like RA is being honest that there is really no way for them to fall off accidentally. They were VERY hard to remove. You can see the sharp triangles that dig into the rubber and behind the fender.

Low.jpg

RAFlap.jpg