TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range indicator problems

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bonnie, Apr 16, 2011.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Luckily my destination was San Francisco / Cupertino last night (meaning a short hop to Tesla Menlo Park once they're open) but I had a couple of problems last night with the trip.

I charged in range mode, showing 244 miles of range. During my initial 112 m leg into downtown SF, a warning came on telling me my tire monitor needed service. No problem. (By the way, HOV stickers ROCK - saved me at least an hour.)

The car was parked about 4 hours before driving another 40 miles to Cupertino. When I parked in Cupertino, ideal range was around 75. But when I started the car an hour later, I received the warning that 0 miles remained.

I drove it about 5 miles over to a friend's house where it's been charging all night on 110v/12amp.

It still shows 0 miles. It still shows it's charging successfully. I'll call Tesla before driving over to get confirmation on my assumption that I have plenty of range, even though 0 miles is showing.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

That's a little disconcerting to hear that Bonnie...we need the remaing idea range data to be pristine...hopefully it's just a hiccup.

3. bonnie

I'll be interested to see what the log information shows. The mileage indicated was tracking with my expectations from previous trips - and really, how can it go from 75 miles to 0 when parked for just an hour?

Just heading out the door right now to drop the car off, will report back on what happens. Seems a little too coincidental that the software for the tire monitor and range indicator both failed on the drive - I've had zero problems before this. But hopefully the log will tell the story.

4. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

Maybe there's a leak in your tank and all the lithium ran out!

No seriously, this is most probably a problem with the sensor/display.
    I'm curious what will be the first issue I'll have with my Roadster. It doesn't really confort reading all the topics about dozens of issues happening.

5. shark2k

shark2k Member

#5 shark2k, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  6. bonnie

Update: Getting checked out - Jake (mechanic) even came in on his day off to take a look at what was going on. Great customer service, I really can't complain. The more complex *thing* I buy, the more interactions there are that can have a glitch. Most things shake out early a product's lifetime, so I'm really not too concerned. Overall quality isn't the problem. Things happen. I know they'll take care of me (and are already demonstrating that).

7. Similar thing happened to me, the range indicator went crazy and showed nonsensical numbers. My guess is a defective cluster.

8. strider

strider Active Member

Well, touch wood, I'm at 4,700 miles without any glitches or problems.