Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range indicator problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Luckily my destination was San Francisco / Cupertino last night (meaning a short hop to Tesla Menlo Park once they're open) but I had a couple of problems last night with the trip.

I charged in range mode, showing 244 miles of range. During my initial 112 m leg into downtown SF, a warning came on telling me my tire monitor needed service. No problem. (By the way, HOV stickers ROCK - saved me at least an hour.)

The car was parked about 4 hours before driving another 40 miles to Cupertino. When I parked in Cupertino, ideal range was around 75. But when I started the car an hour later, I received the warning that 0 miles remained.

I drove it about 5 miles over to a friend's house where it's been charging all night on 110v/12amp.

It still shows 0 miles. It still shows it's charging successfully. I'll call Tesla before driving over to get confirmation on my assumption that I have plenty of range, even though 0 miles is showing.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

That's a little disconcerting to hear that Bonnie...we need the remaing idea range data to be pristine...hopefully it's just a hiccup.

Luckily my destination was San Francisco / Cupertino last night (meaning a short hop to Tesla Menlo Park once they're open) but I had a couple of problems last night with the trip.

I charged in range mode, showing 244 miles of range. During my initial 112 m leg into downtown SF, a warning came on telling me my tire monitor needed service. No problem. (By the way, HOV stickers ROCK - saved me at least an hour.)

The car was parked about 4 hours before driving another 40 miles to Cupertino. When I parked in Cupertino, ideal range was around 75. But when I started the car an hour later, I received the warning that 0 miles remained.

I drove it about 5 miles over to a friend's house where it's been charging all night on 110v/12amp.

It still shows 0 miles. It still shows it's charging successfully. I'll call Tesla before driving over to get confirmation on my assumption that I have plenty of range, even though 0 miles is showing.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I'll be interested to see what the log information shows. The mileage indicated was tracking with my expectations from previous trips - and really, how can it go from 75 miles to 0 when parked for just an hour?

Just heading out the door right now to drop the car off, will report back on what happens. Seems a little too coincidental that the software for the tire monitor and range indicator both failed on the drive - I've had zero problems before this. But hopefully the log will tell the story.

Maybe there's a leak in your tank and all the lithium ran out!

No seriously, this is most probably a problem with the sensor/display.
I'm curious what will be the first issue I'll have with my Roadster. It doesn't really confort reading all the topics about dozens of issues happening.

Update: Getting checked out - Jake (mechanic) even came in on his day off to take a look at what was going on. Great customer service, I really can't complain. The more complex *thing* I buy, the more interactions there are that can have a glitch. Most things shake out early a product's lifetime, so I'm really not too concerned. Overall quality isn't the problem. Things happen. I know they'll take care of me (and are already demonstrating that).

Maybe there's a leak in your tank and all the lithium ran out!

No seriously, this is most probably a problem with the sensor/display.
I'm curious what will be the first issue I'll have with my Roadster. It doesn't really confort reading all the topics about dozens of issues happening.
Well, touch wood, I'm at 4,700 miles without any glitches or problems.