Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Mode on P90 doesn’t do what I expected!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 75D range mode off can easily get 330 Kw/hr. My other car is a P90D and I was getting 430 Kw/h and tried to get below 400 on a stable long run. I had Range mode on and no matter how careful I was, it stayed into the 430, I decided to turn Range Mode off and it started to drop and got below 400, over 2 hours I tried Range Mode off and on....eventually concluded that on my P90 performs better with Range Mode Off! Anyone had this experience?

On my P90D use of Range Mode does reduce consumption somewhat (and also heater effectiveness). I can get 330 wH/mile if I'm not driving like a Loon (and after car/battery has warmed up, so unrealistic on short trips) ... but not in cold weather.

Your experience is definitely not the same as mine. Surprised Range mode makes much different on a 75D, my understanding was that without P-Model different-sized-motors there wasn't the opportunity to turn off the least-appropriate-one when matching speed-to-motor-size (for best efficiency)

My 75D range mode off can easily get 330 Kw/hr. My other car is a P90D and I was getting 430 Kw/h and tried to get below 400 on a stable long run. I had Range mode on and no matter how careful I was, it stayed into the 430, I decided to turn Range Mode off and it started to drop and got below 400, over 2 hours I tried Range Mode off and on....eventually concluded that on my P90 performs better with Range Mode Off! Anyone had this experience?
On my P90D use of Range Mode does reduce consumption somewhat (and also heater effectiveness). I can get 330 wH/mile if I'm not driving like a Loon (and after car/battery has warmed up, so unrealistic on short trips) ... but not in cold weather.

Your experience is definitely not the same as mine. Surprised Range mode makes much different on a 75D, my understanding was that without P-Model different-sized-motors there wasn't the opportunity to turn off the least-appropriate-one when matching speed-to-motor-size (for best efficiency)
thanks for your experience, I wasn’t sure what to make of it, I did 100 miles today and switching range mode off got me under 400, but with it on I couldn’t get belo 430. It doesn’t make much sense, I will try again on my normal 40 mile commute and see if it differs, although there are so many variables it’s hard to do a like for like comparison.

If you are performing these tests with similar battery states (warmed up), something is wrong with your car. Or foot.

I agree.

However, I have 19" wheels, and tyres chosen for good Eco rating, rather than the ability to corner like a leech with vertigo ... and maybe O/P has Carlos Fandango wheels and tyres?

I lack some confidence chucking an MS around country bends, compared to the more tenacious beasts of my youth, so I'm content with straight line Umph ... and in any event, 99% of my driving is on dual carriageway on Cruise and AP ...

My experience is that the effect of Range mode on/off on consumption is in the noise (but my car is RWD so I don't have any benefit of torque sleep or other clever drivetrain stuff).
The big levers affecting consumption on long trips are speed, headwind, rain, temperature, more-or-less in that order (assuming there aren't big elevation changes).
If you have a destination set in the Nav and the car estimates you're tight on energy, the warning message tells you to slow down for a reason: this has a far greater effect on consumption than anything else. Trying to tease out the effect of range mode would require very careful calibration to remove the effect of the other factors.

Trying to tease out the effect of range mode would require very careful calibration to remove the effect of the other factors.

I use it on all long trips, just to have that as "come in handy". Even if I have range-enough for Supercharger the reduction in consumption saves a little time; leaves me a bit more at destination; etc. But if Range becomes an issue then I adopt "get there" tactics - draught a truck (not at close distance ... but it helps One of the big ways it helps is that they do 55MPH ... so no temptation for my speed to creep-up :) ... and failing that then drop the speed to 40 MPH until Arrival Prediction is back on target.

I aim to have arrival-prediction of between 10-20% minimum. Once it starts getting below 15% I take care, and below 10% I take action.

Thanks for all the input, I guess lots of other factors overrides range mode. I will continue my test on the regular commute.

Has anyone got any journey comparisons with range mode on v range mode off? How much difference does it make in %?
My commute starting at 90% I end up at 49% - 51% so what would I see with range mode on? (I will test this over the week )