Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range mode: quieter in cabin when ON or OFF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've posted elsewhere about a frustrating whine/whistle that is constantly audible in our 6 month old 75D MX. I'll provide updates on progress with the service centre and escalation process in the other thread, but in driving the car it's become more and more clear that range mode largely takes the noise away at cruising speed. The service centre keeps telling me they hear nothing wrong, it's all normal etc, but I don't believe it. So i'm wondering if this range mode characteristic is maybe the key to getting their attention. Every other thread I've read regarding range mode talks about the whine it brings along with it (from the front motor). I can understand what people mean - i hear a sort of whine from the front as well when in range mode, but it's nothing compared to the whistle-type noise I get when it's turned off.

Who else here finds it to be quieter in the cabin with range mode ON?

For me I hear more annoying higher pitched front motor whine with range mode on. There’s a lower pitched whistle from the rear with it off at certain speeds.

But I can also hear hotel smoke detectors sample every 7-10 seconds ..... so maybe if you’re less sensitive to high pitched sounds at the fringe of human hearing range, you’d prefer the sound of range mode.