Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

range of single vs. dual motor (OT from Main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VValleyEV

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2018
Cottonwood, AZ
I don’t see a Model Y discussion about this, please redirect me if so:

For the Y, the AWD version has 6% less range than RWD, 280 vs 300
Yet, for the 3, AWD has 30% more range than the RWD version, 310 vs 280

Why would Tesla configure these two models so that the range moves in opposite directions between RWD and AWD choices?

• Funny
Reactions: tschmidty

Why would Tesla configure these two models so that the range moves in opposite directions between RWD and AWD choices?
there is no 3 with 280 miles range...? only RWD version available currently is the stand range battery at 240. am i missing something?

Reactions: mongo

Huh?

Model 3 SR RWD: 220 miles (Available to order off-menu)
Model 3 SR+ RWD: 240 miles
Model 3 LR RWD: 325 miles (Available to order off-menu)
Model 3 LR AWD: 310 miles

So the AWD has about 4% less range than the RWD.

The Model Y doesn't come as a SR version. (At least not yet.)

Reactions: printf42 and mongo
Huh?

Model 3 SR RWD: 220 miles (Available to order off-menu)
Model 3 SR+ RWD: 240 miles
Model 3 LR RWD: 325 miles (Available to order off-menu)
Model 3 LR AWD: 310 miles

So the AWD is about 4% less range than the RWD.

The Model Y doesn't come as a SR version.

I believe I fat-fingered one of the numbers, but point I am trying to make is:

Configure a Y, you get a RWD long-range with 300 miles of range, or AWD long range version with 280 miles. Less range for AWD
Configure a 3, and RWD standard-range plus is 240 miles, AWD long range is 310

SO for 3, choosing AWD always means longer range than RWD, but for Y AWD gives you less range. Sure I understand that they can choose to package the cars in such a fashion, but why would they do that, and if I have this wrong, what in blazes am I missing (just went to the site yet again and pushed all the buttons).

• Funny
Reactions: Mars ☰mperor
SO for 3, choosing AWD always means longer range than RWD, but for Y AWD gives you less range. Sure I understand that they can choose to package the cars in such a fashion, but why would they do that, and if I have this wrong, what in blazes am I missing (just went to the site yet again and pushed all the buttons).

No you can choose a 3 LR RWD that has 325 miles of range which is more than the AWD 3. So yes if you choose the SR 3 you will have less range than a LR 3. Duh.

At this point they don't offer a SR version of the Y. (And they might not because they don't think the range would be long enough for what people want.) i.e. The Y doesn't come with a small battery option yet.

OT...

While we're talking about motors, RWD has less chance of failure (less parts). Just like Starlink with only one solar collector - not two like everyone else. True, the second motor is backup for the trip, but now you have a motor to fix $$$ and two to keep running.

Who am I kidding... I LOVE G-Forces, but risked the full tax credit cut-off. Now hoping for a rare version with max efficiency and best ROI on the Tesla Network. Next one though...

No you can choose a 3 LR RWD that has 325 miles of range which is more than the AWD 3. So yes if you choose the SR 3 you will have less range than a LR 3. Duh.

Maybe there is an off-menu choice for that, but today on website, ordering in US, I see these choices only, with RWD 240 mile range and AWD 310 mile range for both “long range” and “performance” version of the AWD:

7BC99D62-E6A3-41E7-856E-58D673BE1AA5.png

D4133E8A-CFCF-4914-B460-CAB11ADAA294.png