Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking into buying a used model y from a dealer, and most 2020 awd modes are listed at 258 miles charge. Is that correct? I know dealers dont always know teslas very well but the 258 range number keeps coming up and I thought it was around 300 miles at full charge. Thanks for any info.

That may be an accurate estimate of the range you would get for a mix of local and highway driving at 70 MPH using the cabin heat. Tesla's stated range for the Long Range Model Y (has dual motors), based on the data that Tesla submitted to the EPA, was originally 316 miles, restated to be 326 miles. Note the EPA data was collected on a dynamometer (dyno) battery run down test and not from driving on streets, in traffic etc.

You’ll want to watch the rim combo too. 326 is based on the Gemini 19” rims. If it has 20” inductions you could lose around ~14 miles of range.
Though if your driving a sum of distance I keep reminding friends and family that you sit for around 2 hours ~150 miles and typically stop for a break, coffee, lunch, stretch. Takes 6-20 minutes to perform a charge and keep going. Just keep it under 80% as the last 20% charge is the slowest.

The NCA cells aren’t recommended you take it up to 100% and leave it here either. So I’m typically at 60-64% for daily. Then schedule a overnight charge when I know I’m going on a road trip to ~90% then take off. So really if you live between respecting the max recommended charge, and staying around 20% on the low end you have your usable range. I’ve had friends go to 7%.. but lowest I’ve personally gone right now is 15% (~54mi left) range. They recommend this due to damage that occurs at the extremes (high/low).

Last edited:
Just for reference, I charged to 100% today for the first time on my 2020 LR AWD w/13k miles and 20-inch rims and saw 290 miles of rated range. Just drove 120 miles and have 60% left.

8FA86155-9B65-44A6-B47D-1FB52B53625B.jpeg