Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is your real world range on model y performance? Basically, I’m in FL and drive to visit family ~155 miles (practically all highway) quite a few times in a year and would rather not have to stop for a charge to arrive without stress. They live near a supercharger so either charging at the house or the next morning won’t be a problem. The question is, assuming 70 MPH avg speed, not much elevation change because Florida is flat, warm all year but A/C running… is this a textbook case of unnecessary range anxiety or will I be cutting it close?

What is your real world range on model y performance? Basically, I’m in FL and drive to visit family ~155 miles (practically all highway) quite a few times in a year and would rather not have to stop for a charge to arrive without stress. They live near a supercharger so either charging at the house or the next morning won’t be a problem. The question is, assuming 70 MPH avg speed, not much elevation change because Florida is flat, warm all year but A/C running… is this a textbook case of unnecessary range anxiety or will I be cutting it close?

"it depends" It "should" be fine, but if its really windy and rainy, and you need to use the heater, and drive 75 and not 70, you could be cutting it close.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
Upvote 0
You would be able to drive 155 miles without stopping to charge. Explore the trips you would take in a Performance Model Y using A Better Route Planner (ABRP). ABRP is available on the web and for your phone. In many parts of Florida there is a Supercharger available if you need it.

Upvote 1
Oh wow, not completely surprised but a bit underwhelmed that my range fears aren’t unfounded. Cutting it close meaning arriving with under 20%?

Does heat use more power than A/C?

Yes, heat uses more power than AC. You can definitely make it 100% it just depends on how fast you drive and the weather, if it will be close or you have a ton of energy left.

Sorry for the brief answer, some version of this question is asked 2-3 times a day, every day here, and has been since I joined here in late 2018. I hate to be the " perhaps you should search the forum" person, but this topic is the #1 discussed topic on TMC.

In general, you should be fine, but if you drive 80 instead of 70, into a headwind, while its raining, it could be different.

Try using the website Abetterrouteplanner to plan your trip and see what it says, putting in your variables as accurately as possible.

Upvote 0
Yes, heat uses more power than AC. You can definitely make it 100% it just depends on how fast you drive and the weather, if it will be close or you have a ton of energy left.

Sorry for the brief answer, some version of this question is asked 2-3 times a day, every day here, and has been since I joined here in late 2018. I hate to be the " perhaps you should search the forum" person, but this topic is the #1 discussed topic on TMC.

In general, you should be fine, but if you drive 80 instead of 70, into a headwind, while its raining, it could be different.

Try using the website Abetterrouteplanner to plan your trip and see what it says, putting in your variables as accurately as possible.
Huh? I thought that was part of your job here! ;) 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 1