Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss, Contact Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I just completed a trip from Central florida to Naples Florida yesterday. The weather was cool upon departure, 58F sunny no cliamte used Departed with 80% charge drove 178 miles arrived with 19%. Speed 70-75 MPH. No traffic.
Return trip same day. Charged to 100% at a Supercharger. Return trip 183 miles arrived with only 4%! The temperture was 44F, dark and cliamte set to 72F speed was the same at 70-75 MPH. The route in both directions is relatively flat, no head or cross winds. No traffic. No additional weight load in either direction.

I charged overnight at home from 4%-80% disconected the car and the range fell 2% in three hours. Nothing is on and the car is in the garage. Garage was 68F this morning. Ambient temp was very cool at 34F.

Should I request service? Or, is this all in my mind. Difficult to believe that headlights and 72F on the climate control and 44F ambient temperture would result in such low range.
I made the same trip in August with very high tempertures and the Climate set to the same temp and arrived with 33% and return arrival at 42%.

2023 Model Y LR 8,863 miles and 13 months old.
Tire pressure OK.

Climate control would account for most of the difference in energy consumption on the return trip. Also, the Tesla Model Y will automatically lower the estimated battery state of charge by 3% in colder temperatures, so that could account for the part of the lower remaining % upon arrival. For next time, instead of using estimated range (miles) or % SOC on arrival compare overall Wh/mile efficiency for each part of the trip. You can reset each of the trip odometers ( A & B) separately. Press and Hold the desired trip odometer to reset. I renamed Trip B to "Lifetime" and never reset it.

Example: A short 4 mile drive after close to 2 hours of charging and preconditioning. Battery heating was observed while preconditioning.

Trip (Day) 1: Ambient temperature was 18F(-8C); Climate control set to 72F (22C). Displayed consumption while driving for this short trip was 338Wh/mile. Tire pressure as 41 PSI. Parked in unheated garage. Next day, after preconditioning for 10 minutes (cabin temp was 35F (1.7C); battery warming was observed while preconditioning; Note this was without plugging in; no charging. Then drove an additional 4 miles. Overall Wh/mile efficiency eventually settled at 334Wh/mile by the time I plugged in and charged.

Trip (Day) 2: Ambient temperature was 30F(-1C); Climate control set to 72F (22C). Displayed consumption while driving for this same short trip was 240Wh/mile. Tire pressure was 42 PSI. Same exact route as Trip 1. I don't believe traffic or wind was a factor. The only notable difference was the ambient temperature (Day 1 was less than ~20F (-7C) while Day 2 was ~30F(-1C). I attribute the difference in consumption (almost 100Wh/mi) to the heat pump having to work that much harder at the lower ambient temperature to warm the passenger cabin. On a longer drive, i.e. 30 minutes or more, the difference in consumption would have been less.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sounds normal enough to me. As the battery cools, your charge percentage will decrease. You Supercharged, drove for a long time and charged for a few hours, therefore the battery temp was fairly high. Then you let the car sit in 34 degree weather for a few hours. It's not surprising the reported battery level dropped with the battery temperture.

It can happen the other way, too. You charge to 80% overnight, then let the car sit in a hot parking lot. It now shows 82%. It happens less often that way because most people are running things that use battery, but if the car is asleep, with no cabin overheat protection and no Sentry mode, it can.

Reactions: Eric33432