Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RATTLE

rattles experienced in a model Y

• doesnt bother me, i have low standards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attaching picture. While the door is closed, from inside the car, try jamming your fingers in under the plastic on the door side and pushing up. That stops it for me for a while. Like I said I also added felt tape on both the door side and the car side but I guess I need to add more because that didn't fully stop it from making noise. Still have to jam my fingers in there and push up sometimes.

Tesla-Model-Y-rear-door.jpg

There is also sometimes a rattle from above there where the two pieces of plastic door trim join together, the lip on the storage pocket. You can jam something like a wadded up tissue between the two pieces or take the trim off the door and spray silicone into the joints. I only had this second problem (the lip) with my front doors though, not the rear ones.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
I had only 1 rattle/buzz/vibration and it was rear view mirror assembly. I took it apart and added some padding and gone. Only other rattles were seatbelts in the rear and passenger buckle against the seat side. All those were solved with silicone seatbelt protectors. So my issues were in the middle. Overall I’m extremely pleased with my build quality.

I just fixed the rearview mirror recently as well. it was annoying AF when traveling to NorCal.

Squeaky noise

wow got extrmely busy over the holidays, and hasnt had the chance to check my own thread, looks like my thread is getting a lot of love (why am i acting surprised, afterall it is a rattle machine, of course i expect many owners to chip in.

So long story short, after another 3 more trips (2 during the holiday , freaking uselss tech that didnt give two *sugar* about it, one took a quick look tighetn everything and starts diagnosis on my reat hatch strut blaming its making creaking sound, wtf? that thing creaks sicnce day 1, second idiot tech blames i have custom painted caliper and my brake pads shift hence the CLICKING noise that i brought it in
3rd trip i was really pissed off, and i told them if its not fixed i do not ever want the car back, even if it takes them 12 months to fix.
Long story short, they removed the sub frame Like i told them the issue was, re torqued and replaced with new sub frame bolts ( i knew it was the sub frame as i searched on forums and whatnot, that seemed to be the issue, they obviously didnt wonna just go ahead and replace the entire thing)
so far no more noise for 2 weeks, when i was drifting during the snow storm i did hear 3-4 clicks, so finger cross, still have 2 more years warranty...

like the above member, i dynmoat my rear trunk, hatch, two front doors, glove box, rear seat etc a lot of the door clips/wires will eventually creak, so i know soon i gotta dynmoat/felt tape my two rear doors.
my rear seat post was rattling, so they replaced the entire rear seat which didnt do *sugar*, i had to felt tape the post as there are movement, had the same issue in my x5

so far no more rattles for 2 weeks (what a relief as i was getting anxiety from driving this pos, finger crossed, great ownership experience
12 months, 14k 18 dealer visits NOT including getting my tech to add in the extra work lol

my god

I picked up MYLR one week ago. No rattles after 400+ miles… until I installed a child seat in the rear seat (2nd row). It’s clear the sound is coming from that area but I can’t localize it. I unbuckled the seat belt from the car seat to loosen it and the rattling improved but didn’t go away completely. I read that the seat belt housing is a common source of rattling. Does this seem to meet the description?
What can the service center do?

I picked up MYLR one week ago. No rattles after 400+ miles… until I installed a child seat in the rear seat (2nd row). It’s clear the sound is coming from that area but I can’t localize it. I unbuckled the seat belt from the car seat to loosen it and the rattling improved but didn’t go away completely. I read that the seat belt housing is a common source of rattling. Does this seem to meet the description?
I went to the service center several times for functional issues and tried to get them to resolve rattles alongside the main work order. Based on my experience, the technicians are simply too busy to properly diagnose and address rattles. Other times they’ll just not hear rattles, or say it’s normal for cars to rattle, even if it’s prominent.

I absolutely hate rattles, but I give up with the model Y. Im slowly learning to live with it.

Check headrests. Can temporarily remove them to check. Have to use a paperclip. Pushing them down all the way (below what's supposed to be their lowest position) helps.

Sometimes the metal locking clamps between the seats rattle. Can put the seats down, one at a time, to check.

Check headrests. Can temporarily remove them to check. Have to use a paperclip. Pushing them down all the way (below what's supposed to be their lowest position) helps.

Sometimes the metal locking clamps between the seats rattle. Can put the seats down, one at a time, to check.
those rattles all the time, i fixed two of the seat, except the rear passenger side

felt tape the post, but still occasionally gets a bit of vibration.

its the damn post that extends all the way down the seat, inside the tunnel is held by plastic, so when there is play the damn metal rattles against the plastic.

shitty design.

i managed to remove the backing of the rear seat, felt tape some of it, however still has some remaninig noise.
be aware when removing the backing those yellow clips are one time use only

will need to acquire additional clips before you decide to open it apart

Could you include a picture of the area on teh rear passenger door? I have a rattle/rustling sound coming from that area and can't figure it out. I've removed the rear door card and felt taped down all the connections and wires behind the door and keep the seatbelts clicked in so they don't rattle against the side bolsters but nothing helps

lift up the rear seats and put from foam tape or cloth on the bar where it meets the black foam. i found that area to be squeeky which i thought was elsewhere.

lift up the rear seats and put from foam tape or cloth on the bar where it meets the black foam. i found that area to be squeeky which i thought was elsewhere.
Where is the bar you’re referring to?

Last time I lifted the rear seat cushion I saw a lot of wires were not in the plastic harnesses (harness looks like a half circle). After I pushed it in the rattles weee reduced but not completely gone.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I heard more rattling in my new MY since I installed a child seat in 2nd row. I thought it came from the back, but now it seems to be more pronounced somewhere in the passenger seat area. I read the seat belt housing is a common source. What simple things can I do to localize the source for now? I see the Tesla app "service" section has "rattle" as something to request service for. This is clearly not a rare occurrence. In general, how helpful is the service center in stopping rattling?