Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know what is causing this noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the car for 3 months now and have brought the car to SC 4 times already. Even thought the service summary indicates the noise was eliminated, it was never fixed.

What I tried so far

-Adjusting the rubber stoppers at the hatch. Did the envelop method and made sure I couldn't or barely able to pull the envelop out of the stoppers.
-Put felt pad the area where the rear belts would rattle against the plastic
-Reclined seat all the way back / folded them down - I do notice the noise was slightly better with the seats reclined all the way back but at the same time, I believe there's also noise issue from the rear seats as well.
-Opened the plastic trim pieces on the hatch and made all the clips more secure via felt tape

I'm tempted to try the 5/16 OD vinyl tube method but I'm not sure if that'll solve the issue I'm having. It seems like that is for a "booming" noise? Does anyone have a clip of what the booming noise sound like?

Does it sound like it's coming from the hatch? It only happens on uneven roads/bumps.

Is this a performance model y? If so, the deep thuds could be just the normal sound of the suspension & ultra low profile tires. There are threads about putting 18” tires, 19” or even different size tires on the stock performance wheels which help with the thud sound when going over a sudden bump in a road.

The more metallic sound could be license plate vibrations. I recently put felt around portions of license plate frame so it didn’t vibrate as much. Seemed to help.

Is this a performance model y? If so, the deep thuds could be just the normal sound of the suspension & ultra low profile tires. There are threads about putting 18” tires, 19” or even different size tires on the stock performance wheels which help with the thud sound when going over a sudden bump in a road.

The more metallic sound could be license plate vibrations. I recently put felt around portions of license plate frame so it didn’t vibrate as much. Seemed to help.
No, it's a 2023 RWD from Shanghai. I tried moving the license plate frame just now and it seems pretty secure with no play. Would the felt last since it's being placed outside of the car and is exposed to rain and snow? I'm in Canada.

Had the car for 3 months now and have brought the car to SC 4 times already. Even thought the service summary indicates the noise was eliminated, it was never fixed.

What I tried so far

-Adjusting the rubber stoppers at the hatch. Did the envelop method and made sure I couldn't or barely able to pull the envelop out of the stoppers.
-Put felt pad the area where the rear belts would rattle against the plastic
-Reclined seat all the way back / folded them down - I do notice the noise was slightly better with the seats reclined all the way back but at the same time, I believe there's also noise issue from the rear seats as well.
-Opened the plastic trim pieces on the hatch and made all the clips more secure via felt tape

I'm tempted to try the 5/16 OD vinyl tube method but I'm not sure if that'll solve the issue I'm having. It seems like that is for a "booming" noise? Does anyone have a clip of what the booming noise sound like?

Does it sound like it's coming from the hatch? It only happens on uneven roads/bumps.

Try one of these:
1. Take out the rear compartment cover.
2. Place a folded towel next to the tailgate latch and let it hang out when the tailgate is closed.
3. Put the rear seats down and see what happens.

Last edited:
Try one of these:
1. Take out the rear compartment cover.
2. Place a folded towel next to the tailgate latch and let it hang out when the tailgate is closed.
3. Put the rear seats down and see what happens.

I'll give 1 and 2 a try. By compartment cover, did you mean the cover that you open to gain access to the sub trunk? I tried folding the rear seats down and I still hear the noise.

So I just got the car back from service center they said they fixed it but when I did a test drive, the rattle from the trunk is still there. I went right back in to let them know that it's not fixed and they told me that at this point to wait and monitor to see if the sound gets worse so they can pinpoint it. I explain that I have done my due diligence in trying to point out the area roughly where the noises coming from but without opening up those area I won't be able to tell.

After some back and forth two of the service centers tech leads decide to do yet another test drive. They come back saying they heard noise from the trunk but the the trunk they are deeming it normal operation sound. So I asked them if that's the case then how come all the showroom vehicles that I test drove don't have this noise. And if it's a sound that's considered normal operation then why isn't that sound listed on Tesla's website.

Furthermore the other techs that have driven my vehicle have all heard the noise and have tried to fix it so if it's normal then why would they attempt to fix it in the first place. Only after multiple attempts are they now deeming it normal. And apparently it's within spec if it is less than 11 dB. Every service summary says that they found the noise, did some sort of adjustment and confirm the noise was gone which is not true.

I'm not too sure what I can do with this point. I might try another service center to see if they have more experience dealing with this. But aside from that the only other thing I can think of is try to escalate it but I'm not sure what that'll do.

Mine used to make same noise when I drive over small road crack or road joints, Its now reduced at 50% after soundproofing. to me its sound like coming from seats or interior trim, try with folded seats with someone seating on it. after soundproofing I test drove china made model Y to compare with mine, believe it or not it was more noises then yours.

Hear is link:

Mine used to make same noise when I drive over small road crack or road joints, Its now reduced at 50% after soundproofing. to me its sound like coming from seats or interior trim, try with folded seats with someone seating on it. after soundproofing I test drove china made model Y to compare with mine, believe it or not it was more noises then yours.

Hear is link:

So I just got winter tires installed today and on my way back from the shop The seats were folded down with four tires resting on top and the noise is still the same.

Mine is also China made.