Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to charge. Unable to charge ... no power at station.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’ve got ‘fast charge contractors open’ in the first image - now is it the missing pilot signal or another fault preventing them from closing?
Yes sir!! That's absolutely right the contactors are open! But again, in my limited knowledge... I would have to start at step one, before I go to step six(just for an example).

First, we need that pilot signal. Once we have that, all else should fall into place. If not, then... let's move on to finding out why those contractors aren't closing!!!

Now think to yourself... what is the ONKy thing that physically changes between wall charging and supercharger?

The communication protocol for AC charging, Supercharger DC fast charging, and CCS DC fast charging are all different. I believe what the "Pilot" indicator in service mode is showing is a different protocol for each.

Here's some info:

https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/product-guides#NACS-resources (might not be useful but I did find an interesting tidbit quoted below)

CP is used as a digital communication path between thecharging system and vehicle. The control pilot uses pulsewidth modulation to communicate charging state and currentin accordance with Annex A of IEC 61851-1. Power LineCommunication is superimposed onto the control pilot linewhile DC charging.

This has me suspicious that the DC charging communications part of your charge port ECU is broken (but the J1772 AC bits are fine). Could be as easy as an ECU replacement.

Since AC and DC charging use all the same pins (in NACS cars at least) it seems unlikely that the inlet itself has an electrical fault (but that's just speculation, don't trust me on that)

Reactions: Mechsmoto
The communication protocol for AC charging, Supercharger DC fast charging, and CCS DC fast charging are all different. I believe what the "Pilot" indicator in service mode is showing is a different protocol for each.

Here's some info:

https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/product-guides#NACS-resources (might not be useful but I did find an interesting tidbit quoted below)

This has me suspicious that the DC charging communications part of your charge port ECU is broken (but the J1772 AC bits are fine). Could be as easy as an ECU replacement.

Since AC and DC charging use all the same pins (in NACS cars at least) it seems unlikely that the inlet itself has an electrical fault (but that's just speculation, don't trust me on that)
This is excellent! Thanks so much for the explanation!

I was leaning towards the charge port as it is what's seen the most "physical" wear and tear.

I've seen both pieces sitting there just inside of the fabric cover that's located directly behind the charge port itself. The white plastic box that's the charge port ECU looks to be extremely easy to swap out.

Did the 2023.38.6 update last night.

Now all alerts are cleared.. with the exception of a single CP_a066 alert. "charging equipment not ready".

Checking in the forums it looks like others have had this issue.. and it's the charge port ECU that has been replaced and corrected the issue!

Will confirm, whenever Tesla lets me know.

Here is a photo from the other thread of the part that was replaced.

Interestingly.. they were unable to charge off AC... and able to charge at Supercharger it states in the service notes.

My car does the exact opposite. It will charge without issue on gen 3 or destination... but no go on supercharger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111_115148_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_115148_Chrome.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 40
Tesla confirmed it's the charge port ECU earlier today.

They're not wanting to do the repair via mobile service though... as others have been able to have done?

They also said to call into parts department tomorrow to see if one is available.

Do different service centers have different policies on mobile service repairs?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112_183021_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231112_183021_Drive.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 26
Just curious, were you able to convince Tesla to give you a free ECU and do the repair yourself like you wanted?
I did the complete tear down of the car prior to going to the appointment. When I got there, I let them know it was done... and I was more than happy to unplug the 3 connectors, remove the 10mm bolt that holds it in place, and redownload software.

They still wanted to do the actual part swap... but we're completely fine with me doing the teardown. I mean it only makes their life that much easier. I was at the service center maybe 45 mins tops.

I left all interior pieces at home... and put it all back together once I got back.

In my experience, technicians are usually fairly good at putting what they feel is "important" back correctly.. Nuts, bolts, mechanical pieces.

It's the clips, they like to forget... or leave out. Perfect example is the little torx screw that is under the rear wheel well holding the rear bumper cover on.

Ive installed a stealth hitch. When I took off the rear bumper cover... that little screw had to be taken out. It was a pain to line back up... and it won't thread back in until it is perfectly re aligned. It probably took 10-15 mins to get it. If I tech was making flat rate... id bet you anything that screw would have been tossed to the side... with the old "they'll never know it's missing deal".

Reactions: richrootes