Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real energy consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

skash

Apr 28, 2019
USA
Hi,
I am new here. I am trying to find the real (effective) energy use for the Tesla. The number you can see on dashboard is for the driving only. As I understand, there is idle loss, conversion loss. Using ICE car is simple: you 10 gal in tank, drive 100 miles, the use is 10mpg.

I tried to calculate my numbers. I charged Tesla to 80%, drove 87.1 miles in 2 days (mainly city, slow speed). Tesla showed the use 25.2 kWh but the battery dropped form 80% to 46%.
Question#1. Tesla X 100D has 100kWh battery. So, 80% is 80kWh and 46% is 46kWh? Which means 34% loss or 34kWh ? Tesla shows 25.2 kWh use. Where 9kWh went?

I charged using 6-20 outlet. Tesla showed 239V and 16A which is 3.8kW per hour. I also have Sense which tell me real time electricity consumption. When I started and stopped the use changed by 3.6kW (I did try to start and to stop for 15 second and got about the same numbers). I assume tesla rounds up numbers. So, I changed for 10 hours and 10 minutes to get back to 80%. Which means I used 3.6 kW x 10.17 hrs = 36.6 kWh

Conclusion. I needed 36.6 kWh to drive 87.1 miles or 42 REAL kWh per 100 miles. What numbers do you get?

Hi,
I am new here. I am trying to find the real (effective) energy use for the Tesla. The number you can see on dashboard is for the driving only. As I understand, there is idle loss, conversion loss. Using ICE car is simple: you 10 gal in tank, drive 100 miles, the use is 10mpg.

I tried to calculate my numbers. I charged Tesla to 80%, drove 87.1 miles in 2 days (mainly city, slow speed). Tesla showed the use 25.2 kWh but the battery dropped form 80% to 46%.
Question#1. Tesla X 100D has 100kWh battery. So, 80% is 80kWh and 46% is 46kWh? Which means 34% loss or 34kWh ? Tesla shows 25.2 kWh use. Where 9kWh went?

I charged using 6-20 outlet. Tesla showed 239V and 16A which is 3.8kW per hour. I also have Sense which tell me real time electricity consumption. When I started and stopped the use changed by 3.6kW (I did try to start and to stop for 15 second and got about the same numbers). I assume tesla rounds up numbers. So, I changed for 10 hours and 10 minutes to get back to 80%. Which means I used 3.6 kW x 10.17 hrs = 36.6 kWh

Conclusion. I needed 36.6 kWh to drive 87.1 miles or 42 REAL kWh per 100 miles. What numbers do you get?
You might want to give Teslafi a try. There is a trial period after which you can cancel. Tons of data there. It’s a website and you’ll use your Tesla account credentials to secure an account and get issued a token for use. Let us know how you make out.

Try this :eek:

1000(assume u gave 100D) /270(get this number from ur avg on dash) = 3.70 miles per kWh

1 kWh = .25 (your cost of electricity/kw)

.25/3.7 = 6.7 cents per mile

gallon of gas 3.50/.067 = 52.23m

:eek:

As with all vehicles, the numbers can be all over the place. Your ICE sample is extremely simplified. Why, because that drive is ONLY that one drive. That calculation also doesn't include the expansion and contraction of gas with temperature. The chances that you get two runs with the same number are very low.

With an EV, especially the Tesla, that are many things that come into calculation. Take a 100 mile run at 45 mph in the X and see what numbers you get. Take a 100 mile run, 50 miles per day with an overnight in between, you'll get another number, because you'll include the vampire drain.

But most importantly, stop worrying about all the calculations and just enjoy the car. It's not worth the time, effort, and evidently stress. It's a effort that many follow until they've got range anxiety behind them. You never did this detail with an ICE did you?

Today, I did a 400 mile run. I started with a full battery and will leave my destination with a full battery. So far it has cost me $7.30. It certainly helps to have free destination charging at the hotel that I'm at. Because of the positioning of the Superchargers, it may be a little cheaper going home.

800 miles, $15

To heck with the details. That's equivalent to 186 mpg at $3.50/g

As with all vehicles, the numbers can be all over the place. Your ICE sample is extremely simplified. Why, because that drive is ONLY that one drive. That calculation also doesn't include the expansion and contraction of gas with temperature. The chances that you get two runs with the same number are very low.

With an EV, especially the Tesla, that are many things that come into calculation. Take a 100 mile run at 45 mph in the X and see what numbers you get. Take a 100 mile run, 50 miles per day with an overnight in between, you'll get another number, because you'll include the vampire drain.

But most importantly, stop worrying about all the calculations and just enjoy the car. It's not worth the time, effort, and evidently stress. It's a effort that many follow until they've got range anxiety behind them. You never did this detail with an ICE did you?

Today, I did a 400 mile run. I started with a full battery and will leave my destination with a full battery. So far it has cost me $7.30. It certainly helps to have free destination charging at the hotel that I'm at. Because of the positioning of the Superchargers, it may be a little cheaper going home.

800 miles, $15

To heck with the details. That's equivalent to 186 mpg at $3.50/g
My last car was SUV drinking 17 mpg premium gas so any number will be better. Well, after spending 100K on new Tesla do we really care if the cost $7 per 400 miles or $70? I do have solar system and charge home for free. I just like numbers and want to see what is the real consumption and to predict annual electricity needs (if I need to extend the solar system to cover 100% of my home use)

Reactions: MaryAnning3
My last car was SUV drinking 17 mpg premium gas so any number will be better. Well, after spending 100K on new Tesla do we really care if the cost $7 per 400 miles or $70? I do have solar system and charge home for free. I just like numbers and want to see what is the real consumption and to predict annual electricity needs (if I need to extend the solar system to cover 100% of my home use)

I would recommend as someone else mentioned TeslaFi. It will track a lot of the data that you're looking for and then you can use that data to understand your average energy consumption per month. Please note that it does seem to increase your 'vampire drain', but I find it well worth it!