Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World, Installed Tesla Solar Panel Images

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched the forums and cannot seem to find a gallery of real world pictures of Tesla panel installs. Through EnergySage, I've got competitive quotes for Silfab and LG panels. The LGs are all black, which I like. It seems though Tesla's installs are lower profile with skirts, which makes them much more appealing visually. Tesla quoted me the Panasonic panels, which are not all black. I am hoping someone can provide some images of their Hanwha or Panasonic installs from Tesla so I can compare to other installers aesthetics. I heard Tesla/Panasonic might be producing higher performance all black panels later this at the NY GF (according to Electrek), but not sure I can rely on that info. I am leaning towards looks over higher output given it will sit there for 25-30 years.

Do Tesla installs really look that much better? Are all black worth the decrease in efficiency?

If you ask, Tesla does have some all black Panasonic panels as well. When we asked, they were 315 Watts vs. 325 Watts for the higher efficiency (mostly black) panels. Since we wanted the most efficient panels possible at the time, we choose the 325 Was panels.

This thread has pictures of the black Panasonic 315 Watt panels as well as the mostly black 325 Watt panels: Tesla Energy Solar + 2 Powerwall Install SoCal

Lots of video about the 325 Watt Panasonic panels here: Solar Series! All About Our Solar Panels. - YouTube

While the black panels do look nice, we wanted/needed the most efficient panels so we went with the 325 Watt panels.

Last edited:
Thanks! I did ask Tesla, but they said it is the 370s with white grids or 315s all black. It's a big difference for aesthetics to me. To add to that, EnergySage claims the Panasonic panels (370) are a superior, premium panel and Hanwha (315) are average. Is it that big of a difference in quality between these brands? I mean for 8 cents a watt more than Tesla I can get all black LG 360s...just not sure the install is as clean looking as Tesla with the front skirt or if the installer will be around to warrant it. I love Tesla, but may have to go with higher quality, higher output LGs based on the current line of questions. Appreciate any input.

I also had Tesla, up to receiving plans of installing black Panasonic panels, but had switch to similarly priced but more efficient LG panels by a local solar PV system/Powerwall installer.

This installer also had SGIP (incentive in California) reservation quota vs none with Tesla for Powerwalls.

Below are some pictures for your comparison.
These are 335 watt LG Neon 2 panels:
LG335N1C-A5 | LG NeON®2 Module | Forward Energy | GridReady | Products | Solar | LG USA
Screenshot_20190517-234714_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190517-235011_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190517-235149_YouTube.jpg

Reactions: Tam and NuShrike
Nice! Apparently the LGs being offered are 320s, but they should look the same as your 335s. I have a grey asphalt shingle roof so maybe all black is overkill and the Panasonics will look good. I'll try my week photoshop skills to mock it up. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Reactions: RoBoRaT