Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic trade-in/sale price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody here have any real-world transaction data information/examples for used Model 3s?

I’m trying to gauge the used market value of a vehicle like mine and I see nothing but listings with stupid-high prices, none of which make sense when compared to those of a new vehicle.

For the US, I’d start with purchase price minus federal tax credit minus something for age/mileage. In my head, the depreciation is close to $5k for my 6 month old Model 3, which puts it at something around $42,500. Since I’m not planning on selling, I haven’t given it much thought.

One could argue how to handle the reduction in the federal tax credit, but if you do that, you also need to account for the fact that new prices dropped $2k at the same time. The funny-math gets really funny at that point.

Edit: The mental price mentioned is a private party sale price, not a trade-in value. That would be significantly lower.

For the US, I’d start with purchase price minus federal tax credit minus something for age/mileage. In my head, the depreciation is close to $5k for my 6 month old Model 3, which puts it at something around $42,500. Since I’m not planning on selling, I haven’t given it much thought.

One could argue how to handle the reduction in the federal tax credit, but if you do that, you also need to account for the fact that new prices dropped $2k at the same time. The funny-math gets really funny at that point.

Edit: The mental price mentioned is a private party sale price, not a trade-in value. That would be significantly lower.

Yes, that would be the normal line of thinking, but I don’t see it reflected in the prices of the few available listings, hence my question.

Are you planning on selling on your Model 3 ?

Depending on which way the wind blows in the near future, either that or I buy another one. This fustercluck of a roll-out and the constant issues surely must have had a material impact on used car values (I say that but that never really happened with the S/X, despite similar circumstances). With various mfg and service issues slowly being resolved and with public perception presumably not doing too well, that should put enough downward pressure on prices to make buying a used one more attractive. I guess.

I sold my 2018 long range rwd model 3 to vroom. Options were white paint and sport wheels, and about 6500 miles. No auto pilot. They paid 43,000. They picked up the car from my house. Transaction was very easy. You can submit your vin and options on their website for a quote.

The whole reason to buy a used vehicle instead of a new vehicle is to save money. If you're asking potential buyers to pay more for your used vehicle than they could buy the exact same vehicle brand new, you'll have a difficult time finding a buyer. More power to you if you can find such a buyer though.