Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really? Tesla is a little too cost conscious!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
then my self sealing tires haven’t had an issue and the TPMS works fine with it in 30k miles. You are talking semantics.
No. What the heck is the disagree for?

Another Promise Kept: 2017 Bolt EV Most Affordable Long-Range EV in Canada refers to MICHELIN™ Self-sealing tires. https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...log/02-pdf/2018-chevrolet-bolt-ev-catalog.pdf on page 7 says
Michelin® Energy™ Saver All-Season tires with Selfseal® technology offer low rolling resistance and are designed to self-seal in the event of a minor tread puncture such as that made by a nail.
The tires that come with Bolt are NOT run flats. See below for what run flat tires have inside:
Run Flat Tires: How They Work | Bridgestone Tires
Run-Flat Tires/No Flat Tires - The Pros and Cons | Edmunds

Not sure what "TPMS works fine with it in 30k miles" refers to.

• Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW and alexcue
No. What the heck is the disagree for?

Another Promise Kept: 2017 Bolt EV Most Affordable Long-Range EV in Canada refers to MICHELIN™ Self-sealing tires. https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...log/02-pdf/2018-chevrolet-bolt-ev-catalog.pdf on page 7 says

The tires that come with Bolt are NOT run flats. See below for what run flat tires have inside:
Run Flat Tires: How They Work | Bridgestone Tires
Run-Flat Tires/No Flat Tires - The Pros and Cons | Edmunds

Not sure what "TPMS works fine with it in 30k miles" refers to.

we are going off the topic at hand. The coating that is inside that “self seals” does not damage the TPMS like Slime would.

my Prius Prime has that kit, with the Slime. You will have to replace the tire and the sensor if you use it.

The Chevrolet Bolt comes from the factory with Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires with Michelin's proprietary SelfSeal technology. This is different than run flat technology. Run flat tires can be driven, typically for up to 50 miles at up to 50 MPH once the tire loses pressure for any reason. The run flat tire could lose pressure due to a puncture or due to a faulty tire valve. Tires with Michelin SelfSeal will automatically close up and seal around a puncture hole of the tire tread area. I recall a video where drivers in Japan were given the opportunity to slowly drive vehicles equipped with Michelin SelfSeal tires over a board with protruding nails. In this case the test was certainly rigged but the tires performed as advertised, the tire stopped leaking air immediately after rolling off of the nail.

Chevrolet Bolt owners have reported that sometimes the Michelin EnergySaver SelfSeal tire will continue to slowly leak air, not fully seal, after a puncture. In this case the tire may be able to be repaired, from the inside, using a special plug developed by Michelin for repairing SelfSeal tires. At least the puncture does not immediately disable the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexcue and cwerdna
we are going off the topic at hand. The coating that is inside that “self seals” does not damage the TPMS like Slime would.

my Prius Prime has that kit, with the Slime. You will have to replace the tire and the sensor if you use it.
I never said the self-sealing content inside the Bolt's self-sealing tires would damage the TPMS sensors.

I said using goop could (e.g. what Leaf comes wiith) and you just re-affirmed that.

Reactions: alexcue
Tesla has made a logical decision here. No spare tire because they add weight and take up valuable hatch space. You would loose your "basement" storage area and range/performance would be reduced due to weight.
With no spare tire you also don't need the jack and wrences. Better to just call road service.

Due to quieting foam inside the tires and federally mandated tire pressure sensors, slime type sealants would not work and ruin your pressure sensors.

Eliminating the extra tire saves them $millions and allow them to reduce selling prices, thus increasing demand.

Perhaps best option would be for OP to purchase an inexpensive "Monkey Grip" type puncture DIY sealer. Cost about $5 and available at most any auto supply store.

• Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW
Tesla has made a logical decision here. No spare tire because they add weight and take up valuable hatch space. You would loose your "basement" storage area and range/performance would be reduced due to weight.
With no spare tire you also don't need the jack and wrences. Better to just call road service.

Due to quieting foam inside the tires and federally mandated tire pressure sensors, slime type sealants would not work and ruin your pressure sensors.

Eliminating the extra tire saves them $millions and allow them to reduce selling prices, thus increasing demand.

Perhaps best option would be for OP to purchase an inexpensive "Monkey Grip" type puncture DIY sealer. Cost about $5 and available at most any auto supply store.

I am the OP and I still disagree. I don’t expect Tesla to have a spare. What I expect is if the car doesn’t have a spare then supply the tire repair kit for the inevitable flat tire. It’s obvious by the fact that Tesla sells one for $80.00. I don’t know what it costs them but when I have had 2 Toyota Prius’s with no spare but included a tire repair kit/inflator I don’t it’s expecting too much to supply one. Since I started this thread I went ahead and ordered the Tesla one but I disagree with the fact that Toyota can and did supply one and Tesla can and won’t. It just seems like overly aggressive cost cutting. I love the car.

Reactions: HarleyW and frankvb
I am the OP and I still disagree. I don’t expect Tesla to have a spare. What I expect is if the car doesn’t have a spare then supply the tire repair kit for the inevitable flat tire. It’s obvious by the fact that Tesla sells one for $80.00. I don’t know what it costs them but when I have had 2 Toyota Prius’s with no spare but included a tire repair kit/inflator I don’t it’s expecting too much to supply one. Since I started this thread I went ahead and ordered the Tesla one but I disagree with the fact that Toyota can and did supply one and Tesla can and won’t. It just seems like overly aggressive cost cutting. I love the car.
I bought a compressor kit when I got my M3 and I am transferring it to my new MY. Being environmentally concerned, this is much better than producing a whole bunch of never-used compressor kits that will end up in a landfill 10 years later.

Sorry to hear of your displeasure. I do agree they are valid points. Congratulations and welcome to the family. I believe the Y makes for a great family car at a great price point and it's exciting to see them being sold. Your concerns are going to be felt by many. Before the Y and actually the 3, most owners were salivating over Tesla ownership for years. They knew the good along with all the bad. There was even a time that a year wait was somewhat a reality. I know at a Tesla price point we expect for it to be a full package however like any purchase, some homes comes with a pool and some don't. You will find more quirks but I feel you will truly love the experience of Tesla ownership. There is one downside of ownership. There's no other vehicle that brings to the table the excitement that I find in our now 2 Teslas.

Hang out here at TMC. It's fun and full of great people.

Reactions: UltradoomY
I believe Tesla comes with four years of roadside assistance... so maybe that's why they don't have a repair kit standard.

Also, I think if you use sealant and a repair kit you F up the TPMS... that's $75 to replace right there... if I was within cell service I probably would call for assistance rather than sealing and driving.

I believe Tesla comes with four years of roadside assistance... so maybe that's why they don't have a repair kit standard.

Also, I think if you use sealant and a repair kit you F up the TPMS... that's $75 to replace right there... if I was within cell service I probably would call for assistance rather than sealing and driving.

i agree with you there. I would call Tesla Road Side assistance first. Ext I would call AAA and use the jack pads I’m buying to jack the car up safely. But those Roadside assistance options don’t always work depending on when and where you are. Let’s hope for not getting a flat tire to begin with. Thanks for the many spirited replies.

My 2017 Model X came with a compressor and slime kit, but Tesla realized it was a mistake as it ruined the tire pressure monitoring (expensive) gadget and did not seal properly as the quieting foam inside the tire kept the sealant from working as intended plus messed up the balance by soaking into the foam.

I understand you want a free kit included with your car, and call Tesla cheap for not doing so, but they simply do not work with the foam lined tires that Tesla currently offers when new.

Little Monkey Grip rubber insertion strips with sealing glue seems to be the best solution I have come up with. Also needs a little air compressor to re pressurize your tire. No OEM will approve this system due to liability, but if you are in a bind, it is a quick and easy solution.

If it is a big issue, then owner can always buy a new set of tires, without federally mandated tire pressure sensors or foam quieting strips and them pick up an inexpensive Slime/compressor kit to carry.

Many tire companies will refuse to repair a puncture that has been Slimed. Will need to buy a new tire.

Believe the only solution that Tesla can currently offer is to call road service. Any quick DIY fixes would expose them to tremendous liability.

Chevrolet Volt owners have been faced with a decision of what to do about a spare tire since the Volt first became available in 2010/2011.

The options include:

1) Do nothing beyond relying on the tire inflator pump and sealant that came with the vehicle when new; maybe carry a tire plug kit (plugging a tire when the wheel is still mounted to the vehicle can be extremely difficult due to the force required.)

2) Order an optional spare tire kit from GM; cost conscious Volt owners soon realized they could re-purpose the space saver spare from other GM vehicles that would fit the Gen1 or Gen2 Volt wheel pattern (the wheel pattern is different for Gen1 and Gen2)

3) Purchase run flat tires for the Volt when it is time to replace the OE tires; run flat tires are much more expensive than other tires, the ride can be very harsh and there is a loss of driving efficiency as the run flat tires do not have low rolling resistance (LRR) as one of their benefits. (I recall a demonstration that simulated a sidewall blow out where a hole saw mounted on a drill was used to core out a 2 inch hole in the sidewall of a run flat tire. You could still drive on the tire for up to 50 miles.)

4) Purchase the Michelin EnergySaver A/S tire with Michelin SelfSeal technology used on the Chevrolet Bolt as the tire size is the same size and at least as high a load specification as the OE Michelin EnergySaver A/S tire that came on the Gen2 Volt. These tires cost more than the non-SelfSeal tires, weigh about 2 lbs more per tire.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
My 2017 Model X came with a compressor and slime kit, but Tesla realized it was a mistake as it ruined the tire pressure monitoring (expensive) gadget and did not seal properly as the quieting foam inside the tire kept the sealant from working as intended plus messed up the balance by soaking into the foam.

I understand you want a free kit included with your car, and call Tesla cheap for not doing so, but they simply do not work with the foam lined tires that Tesla currently offers when new.

Little Monkey Grip rubber insertion strips with sealing glue seems to be the best solution I have come up with. Also needs a little air compressor to re pressurize your tire. No OEM will approve this system due to liability, but if you are in a bind, it is a quick and easy solution.

If it is a big issue, then owner can always buy a new set of tires, without federally mandated tire pressure sensors or foam quieting strips and them pick up an inexpensive Slime/compressor kit to carry.

Many tire companies will refuse to repair a puncture that has been Slimed. Will need to buy a new tire.

Believe the only solution that Tesla can currently offer is to call road service. Any quick DIY fixes would expose them to tremendous liability.

I hear you but since Tesla sells a tire repair kit for $80 that seems to indicate that they would be ok to use it in an emergency.

Then don't be so cheap, and just buy the kit yourself...

Hey buddy, if you read through the all the posts you would see I’ve already done that. You don’t need to reply if you’re not being helpful. There’s always got to be someone with a snarky comment instead of being helpful. I still maintain that if my past 2 under $30,000 Toyota Prius’s that didn’t have a spare tire could come with a tire repair kit then so can my $54,000 Tesla.

Chevy no longer includes the compressor either, I had to transfer it to my new bolt. Same with Toyota’s hybrids (if they ever included it)
Also, the Tesla website specifically says if used, you will need a new tpms. I’d rather by a spare from modernspare when I get my Tesla.

Chevy no longer includes the compressor either, I had to transfer it to my new bolt. Same with Toyota’s hybrids (if they ever included it)
Also, the Tesla website specifically says if used, you will need a new tpms. I’d rather by a spare from modernspare when I get my Tesla.

I was looking at Modern Spare. Do you plan on carrying it with you all the time? Just on long road trips? Any idea if it will fit in the under trunk?

My 2017 Prius Prime has the kit. Though when we travel I bought a donut that fits it and carry that just in case. I actually impressed AAA when they came and said you don't have a spare in these cars... I said I did. LOL. It was much cheaper to do it that way than use the Compressor kit with the slime and have to replace the tire and TPMS.

Thanks for the Source for a spare, I may go that route on longer trips, just in case.

Was not trying to be snarky. My 2017 X also came with a air compressor and slime kit. Many companies used to do this, however very few do anymore because they screw up the now federally mandated tire pressor sensors.

If you want the kit, you gotta buy it yourself. OEM's rarely do this anymore.

Not that they are being cheap, but it would currently disable a federally mandated tire pressure monitoring system.