Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Bumper to Trunk Lid Adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roadster

JdeMO Powered
Dec 10, 2016
SoCal
The panel gap between my trunk lid and rear bumper is a bit too wide for my taste so I'd like to try and narrow it down a tad. Is it better to try and move the bumper up or adjust the trunk down? Guessing the prior is easier than the latter but would love to know the preferred procedure either way.

Are you talking about the panel gap over the rear wheels? In my experience it's better to move the bumper up. Your success may be limited however. When my Roadster was new I complained about the uneven panel gap above the right rear wheel, trunk lid to bumper. Tesla made several attempts to fix it but every time they adjusted the bumper, something else didn't fit. At one point they got it right but couldn't adjust the latches so the trunk would open in the "fixed" position. I finally gave up trying to close the gap and decided I had to accept some quirks with a hand-built carbon fiber body. Not the answer you wanted. If you find any better ideas, I'd like to know, too.

It's the gap between the bumper and the trunk lid behind the wheels @hcsharp. It's the same one @Tex EV mentioned in this thread here (photo below).

@MLAUTO offered some suggestions but I tried those and it's still not where I'd like it. Seems like I may just need to resign myself to the fact that it's going to be like that unless there are other options.

img_20161014_083235-jpg.198635