Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirt Accumulation/Water Spots Where Trunk Meets Rear Bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else has noticed a greater (and really bad looking) accumulation of road dirt and water stains at the point where the rear trunk lid closes on top of the rear bumper. We've had a rainy week so I plan on washing my car tomorrow, but I noticed at in the aforementioned spot there is more dirt than would be expected, especially since I know that I gave this specific area a cleaning and spray wax in the past few weeks, and it didn't seem to do a darn thing.

I've tried to attach two pictures of what I'm talking about, one with the trunk lid up and one with it down. If you too have noticed that this area gets very dirty, and very quickly, have you found any solution to this specific area where its the worst?

Dirty Spot Rear Bumper.jpg Dirty Spot @ Trunk.jpg

PPF and/or ceramic coating applied in that area or across the entire rear bumper skin will keep this in check and prevent a lot of the buildup from taking hold.

As an alternative, some type of bumper edge lip like you see on older-gen Prius or various Subaru CUVs. I believe Ive seen both rubber and vinyl flavors of this for the 3/Ys.

Its a personal choice re how it looks, unless youre going for the lifted, off-road look, where it fits the theme.

I have that happen on mine as well. It appears to be caused by the action of slower less turbulent air right in that spot as you drive so drips coming by collect and do not get blown off like most other locations. I simply keep a microfiber in the trunk and on rainy days give it a spot wipe when I park at work. Then using a chemical guys hydrospeed ceramic detailer on that spot when I park in the garage seems to help keep drips from collecting as easily and makes grime removal a bit easier too.