Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Cargo Tie-Downs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the generous cargo space in the Model 3, but was disappointed to find there was no way to tie things down. I installed some front tie points to the rear seat pivots as described by KariK, except using paracord instead of wire. In the left rear, I glued a mounting plate for a D-ring, as shown in Model 3 trunk cargo net project

For the right rear, I found a strong tie point behind the interior corner panel shown here, with a 3DMAXpider trunk liner installed.
1-installation-site-sm.jpg

There's a good video showing how to access the area behind the panel here:

The cover along the rear of the trunk is removed by pulling straight up along its forward edge. I should actually have removed the trunk liner and lower compartment cover first.
2-rear-cover-removed-sm.jpg

The corner panel can then be peeled back. The video mentions a plastic fastener up by the trunk light. It's not necessary to remove that fastener for this installation. For reference, note the wire bundle at the bottom of this cavity.
3-opening-cavity-sm.jpg

Here's a view from behind the interior panel showing the same wire bundle, and also the sturdy plate that forms the back wall of the cavity. I fastened my tie-down to the hole at the edge of that plate. (The hole doesn't seem to serve a purpose in the finished car. I conjecture that it's used to hold the plate in position while it's being welded.) A 21" length of paracord turned out to be just right.
4-paracord-tied-sm.jpg

I then drilled a 1/4" hole in the corner of the internal panel, 1 1/4" from the bottom edge, fished a loop of the paracord through, and closed everything up.

Here's the final installation. The paracord emerges slightly below the top edge of the mat. In use, as here, the paracord holds the edge down. Note that the mat must sweep up past the loop when the lower compartment cover is opened. When it's closed again, the loop winds up under the mat. That could be considered a feature. If you consider it a bug, or want to leave a carabiner attached all the time, you could provide more clearance by drilling the hole somewhat higher in that corner.
5-completed-installation-sm.jpg