Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Chrome Trim Fading - Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past few months I've noticed both rear quarter window chrome trims have taken on discoloration or fading. Have not used any harmful chemicals, one would think it would have discolored the other pieces as well. Does anyone else have this issue or had it and resolved it?

1.jpg

64EADFD5-8DFF-4ADA-A50C-F12CEBA58058.jpeg
8BB4E27C-2F58-4DAD-9668-5A5F1CF354FC.jpeg
9B34934C-D7A0-4E6D-8468-ACF10EBD1372.jpeg
I too experienced this problem after 3 months of ownership. After much research with Tesla, escalating to their engineering team, and providing the ingredients for every product used on my vehicle, the problem was identified. The rear window trim is made with a stamping process much different than all other areas of the vehicle.

This is why the finish only changes on that area. The stamping process used cannot come in contact with a PH level higher than 13. I spoke with my local showroom where they shared this information from other owner complaints. (They have an internal case logging area)

I had taken my car to a touchless car wash a fair amount, it utilized simonez products. I used touchless as recommended in the car manual. What I was not aware of is that every touchless wash uses a high and low PH soap to remove grime and dirt. The simonez soap product (quest/mayhem) has a 13.XX PH level. Above the Tesla threshold that owners are not made aware of.

I was advised this defect was not covered by warranty but fortunately after a bit of back and forth, they chose to make a goodwill repair this one time with the caveat to only use products below that PH level as it would not be repaired again.

The recommendation from the advisor is to first ask the facility the list of products they are using and confirm the PH level before use. That really did not seem reasonable so I’ve purchased PH balanced products to wash the car at home moving forward.

Hope this helps clarify why this is happening for you all!

It’s not chrome. It’s anodized. Once it ages or gets damaged, the only solution is replacement with new pieces.

Very common finish on cars these days.

I asked if the metal was anodized and if the finish is expected to become matted over time. They stated that it was not and spoke about the stamping process for the specific area being different than all other parts of the car with a polished finish. Regardless of the material, there is a way to prevent this from occurring. Follow their guidelines and ensure the PH level is lower. I don't think it is ideal or something I feel should have been put onto a car knowing how sensitive it is. I will continue to update on this over time to see if it occurs again following their engineers rules.

Many of my friends who hand-wash their Model 3s since it was first released have not had this occur, meanwhile it did change on my car within 3 months. So I feel their guidelines are valid and likely the car wash/product having a high PH being the culprit.

For the past few months I've noticed both rear quarter window chrome trims have taken on discoloration or fading. Have not used any harmful chemicals, one would think it would have discolored the other pieces as well. Does anyone else have this issue or had it and resolved it?

View attachment 500165
yes, it's happening to mine as well - Tesla won't cover it. I'm on a lease so I'll leave it be - rolling ad for them so I would think they would want to cover it. So far, not impressed with Tesla service after 1 year of ownership. Lots of issues on this vehicle they won't or refuse to cover.

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
yes, it's happening to mine as well - Tesla won't cover it. I'm on a lease so I'll leave it be - rolling ad for them so I would think they would want to cover it. So far, not impressed with Tesla service after 1 year of ownership. Lots of issues on this vehicle they won't or refuse to cover.

So how are you a rolling ad for Tesla compared to any other Tesla on the road?

I just got off the phone with Tesla and they are refusing to cover this same issue on my 3 because of using a touchless carwash. Anyone have any luck buffing it out?

It's anodized despite the guy above being told incorrectly by yet another Tesla employee that doesn't know what he/she is talking about, and it will not go well trying to polish the anodized coating. You will need to replace it if you want it to look like new, or wrap or paint all your trim another finish.

My Jaguar had the same anodized finish, and a carwash had caused it to discolor the trim, but being a Jaguar with their amazing warranty, they replaced all the trim free of charge.

If you can get over the "principle of the matter," a used one one eBay is less than $90, and that's a lot cheaper than paying someone to wrap your trim.

⭐ 2017 - 2020 TESLA MODEL 3 LEFT REAR DRIVER SIDE QUARTER WINDOW GLASS OEM | eBay

Last edited:

View attachment 500165
Anyone ever find a way to bring the shine back without replacement of the trim? Even temporary or something could do regularly?

Anyone ever find a way to bring the shine back without replacement of the trim? Even temporary or something could do regularly?

I had Tesla look into it and they tried to polish it with little success. Unfortunately, that piece of trim is connected to the small window and both would need to be replaced to bring back the shine. The damage is from a high pH carwash soap used at my local touchless wash. In the end, I covered all the trim in a black wrap.