Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended by Motorcycle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first accident in USA in 25 years. Going WB down I595 just before Exit 3 doing around 65 mph in FSD beta, and a guy on a Motorcycle runs into the back of me doing in excess of probably 100 mph. I think my 2021 Tesla Y accelerated to reduce impact and it kept in lane.
Ejected from his bike in through the tailgate glass and lodged on the back and roof of my Tesla Model Y. I took over immediately and slowed down and pulled over to see what had happened. Got out the car and the biker is lodged in my back window tailgate, with his head on my now cracked sun roof, I couldn’t believe it.
He was alive and coming to, so I helped him down off the roof, then got inside the car to call 911. The guy walks off, back to his Honda bike 400 yds behind where I stopped, totaled, laying in the middle of I595. His friend on another bike comes along and he gets on the back and flees the scene. Cop cars, ambulances, all back at the bike. After 30 mins para medics roll up to me and ask if I’m Ok and confirm the bike rider left scene before Police arrived.
I assume as there were other bikes passing by he had possibly had been racing.
Spent another hour with FHP waiting for a accident crash report. Of course he had no insurance FHP told me.
As I waited a bright setting Sun was shining into my face whilst waiting in my car, so he was driving at very high speeds into the very bright Sun.
As luck would have it his Motorola phone was in my car, and he dropped his Florida License, near his bike, as I saw face when he lifted visor I can confirm it was him driving and the FHP said he awas the registered owner of the Bike. Bystander’s said he broke his arm.
Unfortunately no video, as I didn’t save dashcam and over wrote the recent
My car rear end a mess, but still drivable, so drove carefully home.

So from this unfortunate accident, I truly believe my Tesla Model Y in FSD Beta mode probably ensured the outcome of an accident like this was: I didn’t lose control, no fishtailing, it reduced impact speed, and therefore the biker wasn’t thrown off, enabled me to come to controlled stop in a safe location. That the biker seems to have survived with minimum injuries, (no more known), as the Biker fled the scene of accident before the FHP arrived.

Just wondered how much devaluation would be. Total estimate is close to $14,000. Mileage is 15,000. 7 seat and trailer hitch options, White interiors, Pearl white exterior.

Attachments

• IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    795.8 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2294.jpeg
    IMG_2294.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 166
Whoa that's a pretty crazy story! I can't believe the biker just left the scene. Hopefully they find him and he doesn't get away with this.

I can't tell from the pictures, but if there are no visible damage ahead of the tailgate, I think $14,000 is probably pretty close or even on the high side. I was rear-ended about a year and a half ago and sustained damage to the tailgate, bumpers, and some impact bar underneath the bumpers. Total repair cost was just under $7,000. Your car sustained damage to the rear and roof glass in addition to what I had as far as I can see, but if that's all, I think $14,000 or under is realistic.

As for devaluation, I have no idea how much it is devalued in the real world. Since the biker is uninsured, I'm pretty sure you can't claim diminished value in this case. Probably will have to sue the biker for something like that.

Best of luck in getting your car repaired in a timely fashion.

Reactions: thefisch
Wow crazy no airbags, but I wonder are the rear collision sensors only located in the bumper area where the sonar sensors are located?

I don't know exactly how this stuff works.

Do you feel that airbags would've helped in any way or you would've been worse off? I would think the car will calculate the force of an impact in a split second to determine if they are necessary.

Wow crazy no airbags, but I wonder are the rear collision sensors only located in the bumper area where the sonar sensors are located?

I don't know exactly how this stuff works.

Do you feel that airbags would've helped in any way or you would've been worse off? I would think the car will calculate the force of an impact in a split second to determine if they are necessary.
Why would airbags have been needed in this situation? They probably would have made the situation MUCH worse, since moving the car off the road would have been impeded.

But they probably didn't fire because it was a rear-end event and that the impact was not great enough.

AND no airbag deployment means much cheaper repairs.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no video, as I didn’t save dashcam and over wrote the recent
IIRC, safety-critical events like these are also stored into the car's built-in flash memory, in addition to the Sentry USB. You should be able to view it from the separate tab in the Dashcam viewer.
If the car accelerated to reduce the impact of the collision, then it most definitely was logged as a safety-critical event.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to get it directly from Tesla, but YMMV:
Obtain a Copy of the Data Associated With Your Tesla Account | Tesla Support

• Safety event camera recordings (if applicable)

Also see the section titled "About the Data Tesla Provides" in Obtain a Copy of the Data Associated With Your Tesla Account | Tesla Support

Autopilot camera recordings : In the occurrence of a safety critical event only

Last edited:
Reactions: ICE5891