Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear glass cracked, heating element failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed the rear window not clearing when the heating element was on. Closer inspection shows a crack within the glass which looks to be cutting across the element. No impact damage and smooth on the exterior of the window. This is on an August 2019 delivery car and I think similar issues have been reported before?

The car is booked into the new Nottingham service centre later this month to have this and a badly squeeking driver's seat fixed. That's five service issues now in 20 months which is getting a bit worrying. Nothing that's taken me off the road but still waaaay more than I've seen with other cars. Hopefully that will be it for a while. I love the car but can't really say I trust it!

Indeed. I thought I'd got away with it but nope. At least the new Notts service centre is much closer to me (Derby). I'd previously had to use MK or Brum.
Hi. Just wondering how the service centre visit went for the cracked roof glass. Did they replace under warranty? I've also recently noticed that the heating element in my rear glass doesn't work and upon very close further inspection I've found a tiny crack which the heating element appears to pass through - I guess that could be the case? The crack looks as though its within the glass as its tucked right at the edge/back of the boot with no impact marks.

Attachments

• IMG_3708.jpeg
    IMG_3708.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 118
When I reported mine they booked it straight in for warranty replacement. In the following week waiting for the appointment the crack widened to the entire width of the glass! So it's worth getting doing.

I get the impression it's somewhat common.

Hi. Just wondering how the service centre visit went for the cracked roof glass. Did they replace under warranty? I've also recently noticed that the heating element in my rear glass doesn't work and upon very close further inspection I've found a tiny crack which the heating element appears to pass through - I guess that could be the case? The crack looks as though its within the glass as its tucked right at the edge/back of the boot with no impact marks.
Bit of a debacle actually. First they removed the loaner booked to my appointment but forgot to advise me. Fortunately I checked and didn't turn up. On the rebooked appointment, the job was agreed as warranty but on unpacking the spare rear glass for fitting, they spotted a large scratch and couldn't proceed. So the car is back with me at the moment awaiting another appointment. The crack in mine is in a very similar position, tucked right at the back.

Hopefully I'll be called back soon as my driver's seat is also squeaking like a trapped otter and the prospect of a big crack in the glass isn't great. Good luck with the repair. Were you an August 19 delivery by any chance? Quite a few of us with the issue around that period so likely a faulty batch.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
When I reported mine they booked it straight in for warranty replacement. In the following week waiting for the appointment the crack widened to the entire width of the glass! So it's worth getting doing.

I get the impression it's somewhat common.
Same problem and outcome here. Crack spotted, booked in to Winchester Service Centre, fixed under warranty.

Between the above, headlights needing adjusting (mobile ranger), rear light cluster replacement due to water ingress (mobile ranger) and driver seat wiring harness that needed replacing (service centre) it's been a relatively painless experience over the last 21 months

Only other fun was screen rebooting while driving but managed to track that down to dodgy USB cable without Tesla's help.

I know I'm being a little flippant here but the ease of getting these issues addressed has helped largely mitigate any annoyance.

Bit of a debacle actually. First they removed the loaner booked to my appointment but forgot to advise me. Fortunately I checked and didn't turn up. On the rebooked appointment, the job was agreed as warranty but on unpacking the spare rear glass for fitting, they spotted a large scratch and couldn't proceed. So the car is back with me at the moment awaiting another appointment. The crack in mine is in a very similar position, tucked right at the back.

Hopefully I'll be called back soon as my driver's seat is also squeaking like a trapped otter and the prospect of a big crack in the glass isn't great. Good luck with the repair. Were you an August 19 delivery by any chance? Quite a few of us with the issue around that period so likely a faulty batch.
Yep! Collected August '19! I'm not sure how long its been there as I only inspected when I noticed the heater not working. I rarely use the rear heater as mainly just use the front vent.

Same problem and outcome here. Crack spotted, booked in to Winchester Service Centre, fixed under warranty.

Between the above, headlights needing adjusting (mobile ranger), rear light cluster replacement due to water ingress (mobile ranger) and driver seat wiring harness that needed replacing (service centre) it's been a relatively painless experience over the last 21 months

Only other fun was screen rebooting while driving but managed to track that down to dodgy USB cable without Tesla's help.

I know I'm being a little flippant here but the ease of getting these issues addressed has helped largely mitigate any annoyance.
I love the car but like you, quite a few issues. Wiring loom problem, trim falling off, spoiler falling off and seat airbag sensor faulty. Now the cracked rear glass and squeaking driver's seat and it's getting a bit wearing. I don't actually use the car much - 8K since August 2019 so it's not getting hammered. A ranger fixed two of the issues but the rest have needed service centre visits. My cars over the last 25 years, BMW, Volvo, VW have been trouble-free which is quite something, so the Tesla issues have dappened the experience a little. None of those other cars brought a smile to my face like this one though, so I'm bearing with it for now!

Yep! Collected August '19! I'm not sure how long its been there as I only inspected when I noticed the heater not working. I rarely use the rear heater as mainly just use the front vent.
Ah! I was aware of the issue elsewhere but keeping my fingers crossed. It caught up with me after I had to use the rear demist a few times which evidently caused the crack. It's worth anyone who picked up at or around then to pop the rear screen heater on and force the issue. It's not something you want out of warranty as I suspect it wouldn't be cheap to fix

Agree with bearing with it. Went from Fiat Panda to E-Class to Model 3. I loved the E-Class (especially after the knackered 10 year old panda) from a build and comfort perspective, but the model 3 is such a joy to drive I find myself sneaking out for a little spin around the dual carriage ways of Basingstoke (there are many) while listening to spotify. Not something I ever found the urge to do in the Mercedes

Ah! I was aware of the issue elsewhere but keeping my fingers crossed. It caught up with me after I had to use the rear demist a few times which evidently caused the crack. It's worth anyone who picked up at or around then to pop the rear screen heater on and force the issue. It's not something you want out of warranty as I suspect it wouldn't be cheap to fix
Same problem with an Aug 19 collection car. Originally booked in for 22 Mar but delayed for a week every week due to lack of parts. Currently booked in for 10 May. Hopefully it will happen this time!

Crack_1.JPG

I love the car but like you, quite a few issues. Wiring loom problem, trim falling off, spoiler falling off and seat airbag sensor faulty. Now the cracked rear glass and squeaking driver's seat and it's getting a bit wearing. I don't actually use the car much - 8K since August 2019 so it's not getting hammered. A ranger fixed two of the issues but the rest have needed service centre visits. My cars over the last 25 years, BMW, Volvo, VW have been trouble-free which is quite something, so the Tesla issues have dappened the experience a little. None of those other cars brought a smile to my face like this one though, so I'm bearing with it for now!
Agreed. Ive had a BMW and Mercedes in the past and they were trouble free (apart from the ECU in the BMW needing replacing which wasn't cheap!). My M3 is by far the car I've enjoyed owning the most but .......... the numerous minor issues are annoying. To make matters worse, every time it goes to the service centre, another problem is caused which makes me reluctant to get new issues fixed unless I have to (obviously I will book in for the glass to be replaced). This has included the bonet needing respraying due to issues upon collection however this meant the badge had to be taken off and replaced which then started to peel off after a while due to it being placed too far down and curvature of the bonet I believe. In the car went again for the badge to be replaced however they placed it in a slightly different place and didn't polish out the old residue so it looked dreadful (photo attached!)! In it went again. The rear brake light in the window also wasn't straight upon collection but since fixing that there is now a rattle coming from the parcel shelf area. To be fair the service centre staff are always helpful but taking it in makes me nervous as I dread to think what new issues it will comeback with!

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpeg
    IMG_1537.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 59
Agree with bearing with it. Went from Fiat Panda to E-Class to Model 3. I loved the E-Class (especially after the knackered 10 year old panda) from a build and comfort perspective, but the model 3 is such a joy to drive I find myself sneaking out for a little spin around the dual carriage ways of Basingstoke (there are many) while listening to spotify. Not something I ever found the urge to do in the Mercedes
Very similar here! Other than trips out for weekly mountain biking (when restrictions allowed), I reckon most of my mileage has been "joy" riding with Spotify on :)

Agreed. Ive had a BMW and Mercedes in the past and they were trouble free (apart from the ECU in the BMW needing replacing which wasn't cheap!). My M3 is by far the car I've enjoyed owning the most but .......... the numerous minor issues are annoying. To make matters worse, every time it goes to the service centre, another problem is caused which makes me reluctant to get new issues fixed unless I have to (obviously I will book in for the glass to be replaced). This has included the bonet needing respraying due to issues upon collection however this meant the badge had to be taken off and replaced which then started to peel off after a while due to it being placed too far down and curvature of the bonet I believe. In the car went again for the badge to be replaced however they placed it in a slightly different place and didn't polish out the old residue so it looked dreadful (photo attached!)! In it went again. The rear brake light in the window also wasn't straight upon collection but since fixing that there is now a rattle coming from the parcel shelf area. To be fair the service centre staff are always helpful but taking it in makes me nervous as I dread to think what new issues it will comeback with!
I'm anxious about taking my car to the service centre, for much the same reason.

I haven't had anything like the same problems as you, or others, but last time I took my car to the SC it came back with a scratch on the door that they'd touched up without telling me! When I flagged it (unfortunately 2 weeks later, when I noticed) I was told that "as a courtesy to customers if we spot any damage when the car is in for work we will attempt to rectify it" ! .. basically insinuating that it was damage I had caused.

I think the car had done about 600 miles at that point, and being OCD and having had it detailed, etc it's safe to say I knew every inch of it. If it had been a scratch I could concede that it could've happened at some point outside - but it was touched up! So.. either it happened in a supermarket carpark and Miss Miggins happened to have a Tesla touchup paint in the right colour for my car.... orrrr... it happened at the SC. I know what my money would be on.

Annoying. Fortunately my subsequent minor issues have been dealt with by a ranger, who is brilliant.

Ouch - it is a bit of a lottery. My replaced spoiler and the side trim are showing signs of coming away again but nothing too serious yet. I'm using the new Nottingham service centre now so hopefully they have some decent tech guys there. Previous visits have been miles away. My concern with the rear window is that they wreck the PPF which goes right up to the edge of the glass. I have visions of them prising away up there to remove the old one, but I'm probably panicking unnecessarily!