Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Liftgate Sunshade 2012-2020 for Model S compatible with Model 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I am trying to order the Rear Liftgate Sunshade for Model S 2012-2020 through the Tesla website but I get a message saying that the accessory is not compatible with my vehicle, a 2016 Model S. Is the error message itself a mistake? Has the rear window changed throughout the years that 2016 just happens to NOT be compatible? Can anyone confirm that the the 2012-2020 rear liftgate sunshade is the one I should be buying, despite the error message?
Thanks in advance!

I ended up emailing Tesla Shop Support. They confirmed in an email that the "2012-2020 | Model S Rear Liftgate Sunshade offered on our Tesla Shop Site is compatible with your VIN and vehicle build. Sorry for the confusion".

So I bought it and I can confirm that the shades fit nicely in my 2016 Model S.

Presumably, it's a mistake on the website but I guess you could email the support website if you wanted confirmation?

• Informative
Reactions: Tezzie
I didn't have it in my window for long. By the time I received it, it was September and I took it out a about a month ago. IIRC, the edges of the shade are thin, and slide into the crack between the plastic and window so that the shade does not "fall out". If you would like to wait, I'll try to remember to reinstall it this week and can confirm. I'm assuming the one you used did not fit in the gap between the plastic and window?

Reactions: Tezzie
I went ahead and bout the Tesla sunshades and they work perfectly. They block out most of the UV and I can see though them just fine. The guys at Tesla told me not to drive with the sun roof open while the shades are in, but they really are snug, so I might experiment with it on surface streets first.