Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor failure, need assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my story on what happened to mine. About 3 weeks ago I saw my battery range drop and I also saw my efficiency drop as well. I just had my AC repaired due to stinky smell so I thought it was still the ac system, I reached out to Tesla and someone from their customer support in Draper Utah reaches out to me. He said that I had some errors on my logs that could be causing the problem of me losing range. I scheduled a service appointment for about 2 weeks out. I live about 200 miles away from the nearest Service center.

Fast forward a couple weeks Tuesday morning I hop into my car to begin my commute, I see an error and it says no power to rear motor, ok to drive. I need to go so I would use the front motor to drive, no big deal. I put it in drive pull forward about 3 feet and hear a massive clunk and about 5 error popped up, car not safe to drive, no power, pull over, car needs service, etc. It stopped halfway between my garage door. I was able to get the car in tow mode which allowed me to push it out of my garage door path, while pushing I heard a grinding noise coming from the rear motor as we were pushing it out of the way.

I called roadside they said someone would pick it up in about 2 hours. They were very efficient on towing the car which is nice, about 5 hours away I get a call from a technician saying my rear pyro fuse blew because it detected a collision, my car thought it hit something. I told him no, I just pulled it 3 feet out of the garage and everything quit on me. They agreed as there was no damage to the car and was a faulty report.

Here I am now, they need to replace my rear motor and I finally got a loaner from them, actually a second loaner, the first loaner had a flat tire. The errors on my logs in the beginning, I don’t know if it was for the motor or not, Or related to the AC system, but that’s what happened to mine, felt like it was out of the blue on it dying. I have a Model 3 AWD with about 16k miles and have owned it for about a year now.

My LR AWD, 12k miles, 7/18 build is currently at my local SC waiting on parts to replace the rear drive unit. I had similar symptoms to what was reported above (clunk noise from the rear, car would not start, soft restart clears it), but the car was fully operational and I got it down to the SC ok. Dropped it off on Friday and was told on monday

I snapped a pic of the error messages with the clock and attached it to my service appointment request via the app. Not sure if that helped them diagnose in the logs, but now I'm just waiting to get the car back. In the meantime, they set me up with an Enterprise Model S 75D rental to drive until I get my car back.

I've also had my front drive unit replaced earlier this year in February after it failed as well. Similar error message, except that time I was left stranded at home and the car was towed in. Car was in for almost two weeks that time.

Despite these two significant problems, I've had great customer service and communication from my SC throughout the process. I'm hoping this is the end of my drive unit problems, since I'll basically have two new drive units now after this. The front unit they replaced appears to be a new unit (not remanufactured), based on the service invoice. I'm curious to see what they put in this time.

When you get it back.... Be sure to keep an eye on the efficiency of the car....

My car had the rear drive unit replaced and now the car burns power at a higher rate.... I was averaging around 239kw per mile and since I am looking at around 250kw per mile.... It is altready moving my average liftime from 239kw (@ 26k miles) to 242kw average (on only 4k miles after replacement).

It's very odd.... Tesla says nothing is showing wrong with the battery or the drive unit.... But when I go from a stand still and slowly accelerate, I am seeing numbers up to 900+kw..... and even driving at 40 miles an hour, the car is showing 300+kw...

I have heard a few others mentioning this also after this replacement...

My last 100% to 5% only gave me around 200 miles..... and I am driving the car the same as I did before the replacement...

• Informative
Reactions: gmtom1