Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor failure, need assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A

anon52695

I had my vehicle towed early morning on 9/17 to the nearest service center about 3 hours away. Finally on 9/18 late in the evening I got a call saying they are looking at the car tomorrow 9/19, after I left a lot of messages to figure out what is going on. Today on 9/19 I got a text that said it needs a new rear drive unit and parts are on order. They also said in the text I can go set up a rental car and they will reimburse me.

Does anyone know how much they will reimburse for a vehicle rental? My other problem is I don't know how long they will have the car, so I don't know how long to rent one for. Communication is very hit and miss here.

Any help would be great.

I had my vehicle towed early morning on 9/17 to the nearest service center about 3 hours away. Finally on 9/18 late in the evening I got a call saying they are looking at the car tomorrow 9/19, after I left a lot of messages to figure out what is going on. Today on 9/19 I got a text that said it needs a new rear drive unit and parts are on order. They also said in the text I can go set up a rental car and they will reimburse me.

Does anyone know how much they will reimburse for a vehicle rental? My other problem is I don't know how long they will have the car, so I don't know how long to rent one for. Communication is very hit and miss here.

Any help would be great.

We had the same issue on our new M3. Owned it three weeks and just over 1000 miles. Would not go into drive. Had it towed to Houston, 70 miles. It took them 4 days to diagnose it was the drive motor. That was replaced in a week. What we ended up waiting for was the “new-improved” grounding strap. It took two weeks. The rental we got was for a week, and we forgot to extend it for the second week. That became a hassle between the rental car company, us and Tesla to get resolved. We ended up just paying for gas. The car was delivered back to us, 70 miles from the SC. Because it was new and they had it soooooo long we convinced them to install the home link garage door opener as compensation.

Reactions: tvad

Any help would be great.

Sorry about your car, but it sounds like the whole process and communication hasn’t been that bad to me.
I wouldn’t call it hit and miss for that time frame you described.
I’ve seen much worse with other mfg’s.

I would just start with a week or two for the rental. You can change as needed. ..

Sorry about your car, but it sounds like the whole process and communication hasn’t been that bad to me.
I wouldn’t call it hit and miss for that time frame you described.
I’ve seen much worse with other mfg’s.

I would just start with a week or two for the rental. You can change as needed. ..

move been thinking about doing a 2 week, I just don’t know what they will cover. I would hate to rent a car just to have them not cover it because it was out of there range.

Tesla reserved the car for me and paid for it. You should not reserve it and expect Tesla to pay. Let the road service crew do it. That way they cover it. They also gave me an Uber voucher to get to the rental car.

I think they handled my situation well. I hope you get the same.

Thanks for everyones responses, still working with them on getting a car. Good to know I am not the only one with this, I only have 16k miles on my car.

CAmaninacan, I'm curious why you disagreed with my comment in response to the gentleman who negotiated free HomeLink installation as compensation for the service center having his car for a long time.

I had no idea I did, I have fat fingers. But I do like he was able to do that.

Reactions: tvad
I

In your case, what kind of warning did you get that the motor was going out? How far were you away from a sc?

Ditto this question. I’m curious if you noticed any odd behavior before the motor went out or if you were just driving along and with no warning the car flashed a message that said “your motor is out, pull the hell over” or something like that. Just want to know what behavior to look out for in mine. Thanks!

I

In your case, what kind of warning did you get that the motor was going out? How far were you away from a sc?

I started to get the warning that the car may not restart.

Everytime I would get the warning, once I placed the car in park, the car would do a full power recycle and the warning would disappear.

Would be a day or two before the warning would reappear. This went on for a couple of weeks. Car continued to work, but would go in to recycle power mode when I park Everytime.

Finally took it in and after a day of diagnostics, they came back with needing to replace the drive unit.

Took longer to get the part then the actual repair.

The only issue I have now is that since the repair, the car is burning through power. Only getting around 200 miles on a full 100% charge.

I have a sc appointment on the 27th to see what the painless issue is.