Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger door opens when driver door opens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know lots of people want the Model S doors to auto open like an X but I have a really weird issue where when I open the driver door the rear passenger door on the same side unlocks and opens slightly.

has anyone experienced this and know a fix? I assume it’s just programming?

Model S Aug 2017 36.2.1

Thanks!

Yup, bad exterior door handle. When you go into Park and/or open the drivers door, all the handles extend. The bad one extends just a millimeter too far, and hits the microswitch that controls the electric door latch. Thus the door pops open. Not a programming issue, but a hardware issue. The rangers can do an adjustment or replacement as needed.

FWIW my 2013 had all 4 handles repaired/replaced, as has my wife's 2015 S. Tesla is on like rev. 6 or 7, so hopefully newer builds (....newer than yours) won't have this issue.

A quick update. It seems to fix itself random and works for a few days. Trying to work out some kind of pattern it seems to happen/get worse when it’s colder. At present it’s working as expected but drop a few degrees and it starts opening itself again.

A quick update. It seems to fix itself random and works for a few days. Trying to work out some kind of pattern it seems to happen/get worse when it’s colder. At present it’s working as expected but drop a few degrees and it starts opening itself again.
As I mentioned I had one replaced recently and mine was the same, it would only kick the driver door ajar once in a while. There was no pattern and I couldn't even replicate it when I brought it in. It must be such a common issue they knew exactly what it was and replaced it without question. I have the extended warranty though so it only cost me the deductible.

Reactions: Asterix187
I logged the issue at about 40k first. They said let us know if it happens again. Now it’s happened they want to charge me $100 just to look at it.

with that and the knocking half shafts I reported at about 30k that they deferred and now want to charge me for I am not overly happy with Tesla at the moment. To be honest I am seriously considering a Taycan as the build quality of Porsche is generally very good.

I logged the issue at about 40k first. They said let us know if it happens again. Now it’s happened they want to charge me $100 just to look at it.

with that and the knocking half shafts I reported at about 30k that they deferred and now want to charge me for I am not overly happy with Tesla at the moment. To be honest I am seriously considering a Taycan as the build quality of Porsche is generally very good.
The door handle will NOT fix itself. You should have it replaced or repaired. As far as the knocking half shafts, isnt there a TSB or recall on that?

It does not fix itself... I had the same issue. I think the problem was temp related, expansion and contraction... How I finally fixed it was removing the handle to make a adjustment to the screw that triggers when the handle stops extending.

When you have the problem, the handle extends so far that it triggers the door to open as mentioned in posts above.

It does not fix itself... I had the same issue. I think the problem was temp related, expansion and contraction... How I finally fixed it was removing the handle to make a adjustment to the screw that triggers when the handle stops extending.

When you have the problem, the handle extends so far that it triggers the door to open as mentioned in posts above.
Tried to adjust mine but no luck. I ended up replacing 2 door handles. One would open every time and the other was intermittent. Didnt seem to have anything to do with temperature for me though.

Tried to adjust mine but no luck. I ended up replacing 2 door handles. One would open every time and the other was intermittent. Didnt seem to have anything to do with temperature for me though.

I don't have a picture right now, but if you look at where the microswitch contacts the screw, you can see how it needs to be calibrated correctly, if your out of calibration the handle wont extend far enough, and too much the motor actually opens the door. I'll see if I can make a video later...

Reactions: Asterix187
I don't have a picture right now, but if you look at where the microswitch contacts the screw, you can see how it needs to be calibrated correctly, if your out of calibration the handle wont extend far enough, and too much the motor actually opens the door. I'll see if I can make a video later...
Been there done that. No matter how much I adjusted them the problem still persisted. Replaced.

Mine is doing the same thing... also noted that my screen is delaminating at the top and has a very large linear line where the glue has lost adhesion with glass... damn I was just going to pull this and do the eMMC upgrade, and now this crap too 98,000 miles guess its par for the course... FFFFFKKKKK

That rear handle is in a very tight location already put new microswitches and teflon wiring in... didn't see an adjustment screw... need to look for that...when I pull the handle out again.

Wonder if I can take the removed MCU to Tesla for a new screen while I have it removed for the eMMCectomy?