Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Quarter Panel Damage Assessment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi guys/gals..

I reversed into a guard rail a little bit too fast. completely at fault. I hate myself..
- Clips were pushed out undamaged.
- Very slight/minimal scratches
- Rear qtr panel is dented in about 1 1/2in
For anyone that can give me any insightful information/advice on my situation. I have scheduled a accident/collision appointment with tesla already, but doing a bit of research it sounds like they charge an arm and a leg for the smallest dents..
I am also looking into other options locally (South NJ)

How much would tesla estimate damage cost versus how much a local body shop would cost?

Please and thank you for any helpful tips/advice.
M3LR 2022

Attachments

• 20220709_222723.jpg
    20220709_222723.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 20220709_222715.jpg
    20220709_222715.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 20220709_222733.jpg
    20220709_222733.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 20220709_222739.jpg
    20220709_222739.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 169
Your local body shop has to be Tesla certified or they won't be able to get the parts. Either way, it's going to be expensive. When someone backed into my rear quarter panel the insurance bill was over $15,000. Routine maintenance may be inexpensive for a Tesla but accident repairs are not and even though they are the safest cars on the road, it's the repair costs that make insurance so expensive for them.

Your local body shop has to be Tesla certified or they won't be able to get the parts. Either way, it's going to be expensive. When someone backed into my rear quarter panel the insurance bill was over $15,000. Routine maintenance may be inexpensive for a Tesla but accident repairs are not and even though they are the safest cars on the road, it's the repair costs that make insurance so expensive for them.
Okay so mostly likely I will have to go through my insurance and pay a deductible.
How long did it take for them to fix your rear qtr panel?

Ouch. Sorry to read and see.

Yes, 10-15K sounds about right when done by the book by a Tesla-certified body shop. They will effectively bolt on brand new body panels and re-weld them in place, re-do fitment of the bumper skin, rear doors, trunk, and blend the paint, (the quarter comes in a few cuts all with the little window being replaced, you will likely need the smalest panel cut).

If done right by the right shop, once all is said and done you will end up with a better fit/finish and paint than factory.

ETA on repair once parts come in can be 2-3 weeks. ETA on parts coming in, tear-down, reassembly, paint booth time and cure can be months.

You are fairly far south in Jersey, so there are likely better options for you in Trenton or Philly, but if distance is not much of an issue - I'd recommend below shop in Queens (there are two locations) - Frank the owner is a car enthusiast and owns a Model 3 Performance. Treats each car in the shop like his own and has an endless stash of spare Tesla parts from SCs. https://gothamcitycollision.com/

Last edited:
Ouch. Sorry to read and see.

Yes, 10-15K sounds about right when done by the book by a Tesla-certified body shop. They will effectively bolt on brand new body panels and re-weld them in place, re-do fitment of the bumper skin, rear doors, trunk, and blend the paint, (the quarter comes in a few cuts all with the little window being replaced, you will likely need the smalest panel cut).

If done right by the right shop, once all is said and done you will end up with a better fit/finish and paint than factory.

ETA on repair once parts come in can be 2-3 weeks. ETA on parts coming in, tear-down, reassembly, paint booth time and cure can be months.

You are fairly far south in Jersey, so there are likely better options for you in Trenton or Philly, but if distance is not much of an issue - I'd recommend below shop in Queens (there are two locations) - Frank the owner is a car enthusiast and owns a Model 3 Performance. Treats each car in the shop like his own and has an endless stash of spare Tesla parts from SCs. https://gothamcitycollision.com/
Wow, what an insanely long process to go through. Thank you for this information.

3 months but that was a few years ago when body shops had a hard time getting parts from Tesla, so my car sat there for almost 2 months. It was a nightmare of an

3 months but that was a few years ago when body shops had a hard time getting parts from Tesla, so my car sat there for almost 2 months. It was a nightmare of an experience.
just dropped my m3 on friday, the estimator told me they have the parts and should be done in 2-3 weeks. I believe it just varies between locations.

location is King of Prussia Tesla center, great people!

just dropped my m3 on friday, the estimator told me they have the parts and should be done in 2-3 weeks. I believe it just varies between locations.

location is King of Prussia Tesla center, great people!
Again my repairs were done 3 years ago, I initially said a few years ago but then realized it was actually 3 years ago. It took so long because of how hard it was for body shops to get parts from Tesla at the time. And since your shop already has the parts, that's great for you. Hope they don't screw up the repairs, like mine did. So look it over closely and take your time. Look at the paint from different angles.

Again my repairs were done 3 years ago, I initially said a few years ago but then realized it was actually 3 years ago. It took so long because of how hard it was for body shops to get parts from Tesla at the time. And since your shop already has the parts, that's great for you. Hope they don't screw up the repairs, like mine did. So look it over closely and take your time. Look at the paint from different angles.
will do. thank you sir.

Reactions: Resist
sorry to hijack this post, but I'm wondering for rear quarter panel damage assessments if it make sense to create a new thread, or if people prefer to use the same thread? Also, What's the worst that could happen if the rear quarter panel doesn't get fixed at all?

sorry to hijack this post, but I'm wondering for rear quarter panel damage assessments if it make sense to create a new thread, or if people prefer to use the same thread? Also, What's the worst that could happen if the rear quarter panel doesn't get fixed at all?
Depends on if it effects the rear door closure and seal. Not to mention it just looks bad. When my rear quarter was hit it did crumple a bit at the rear door but it still closed, I think the seal was fine but was not sure. Plus my car was only 4 months old and it really hurt to look at it damaged.