Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear "Red" Caliper Creaking Noise...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, just started to notice that my rear passenger side (red) caliper has started to squeak. The noise only happens at very slow, crawling speeds, and once stopped, if I gently press the brake pedal back and forth (while the car is stationary), I can get the caliper to creak (with each and every push of the pedal). I pulled off the pads, cleaned and greased up the hardware, and although the noise "seems" to go away, it does come back within a few miles. The slide pins and boots on the caliper are also in great condition. To rule out the rotors, I swapped them from side to side, and the noise is still there. I also greased up the shaft splines, just as a precautionary measure, but no luck. All my suspension components are also in excellent condition and tight. At this point I'm convinced it's the caliper piston itself. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Cars a 19 M3P, so no warranty to fall back on. I don't mind purchasing a new caliper and slapping it on, but before I take that route, just wanted to see if perhaps anyone had the same or similar issue. Thanks!

Hey guys, just started to notice that my rear passenger side (red) caliper has started to squeak. The noise only happens at very slow, crawling speeds, and once stopped, if I gently press the brake pedal back and forth (while the car is stationary), I can get the caliper to creak (with each and every push of the pedal). I pulled off the pads, cleaned and greased up the hardware, and although the noise "seems" to go away, it does come back within a few miles. The slide pins and boots on the caliper are also in great condition. To rule out the rotors, I swapped them from side to side, and the noise is still there. I also greased up the shaft splines, just as a precautionary measure, but no luck. All my suspension components are also in excellent condition and tight. At this point I'm convinced it's the caliper piston itself. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Cars a 19 M3P, so no warranty to fall back on. I don't mind purchasing a new caliper and slapping it on, but before I take that route, just wanted to see if perhaps anyone had the same or similar issue. Thanks
*UPDATE* I ended up swapping out the OEM rear pads, hardware and rotors and the noise went away! No more creaks! I'm convinced it was the pads and hardware, and although the rotors most likely didn't warrant replacement, I figured a refresh wouldn't hurt. So, if you ever find yourself with a creak that only becomes evident at a slow roll or when you come to a complete stop, it's may just be your pads and hardware as well.

Reactions: slzeal