Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Brake Weight comparison - trying to optimize the weight savings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's easy to type stuff up and dream, but best to actually find a local forum member and drive a Model S Plaid with Track Pack brakes and see/experience them for yourself.

I can only speak from my experience having put on a couple of thousand miles on stock '23 MSP brakes and now 10K miles on the Track Pack brakes.
  • Brake pedal feel is much firmer than stock on mine (this will be largely dependent on the quality of install at your local TSC)
  • Braking performance and feel is immensely better than stock (I simply cannot get them to overheat; stock not so much)
  • No squeaks whatsoever (knocking on silicon carbide) + the clean wheels forever benefit
I honestly felt the most weight savings when I swapped out the 35 lbs Arachnids for my 27 lbs Forgelines (same size, diff offset). It's noticeably more lively at all speeds having shaved off 24 lbs at the corners. Also be aware that the Track Pack is a hardware + software combo. Track mode is a further added enhancement by going with the Track Pack brakes, and yes, I did push 190 mph somewhere in Mexico.

I never considered aftermarket brakes on my ride. None look as beastly as the OEM AP Racing calipers with those 410 mm ST rotors and none come with the ones and zeroes from Tesla to complement the added performance.

Gl!

P.S. Wheels should be assessed by weight, stiffness and load rating (many think lighter is always better because they're simple minded)

IMG_0265 (1).PNG

Last edited:
It's easy to type stuff up and dream, but best to actually find a local forum member and drive a Model S Plaid with Track Pack brakes and see/experience them for yourself.

I can only speak from my experience having put on a couple of thousand miles on stock '23 MSP brakes and now 10K miles on the Track Pack brakes.
  • Brake pedal feel is much firmer than stock on mine (this will be largely dependent on the quality of install at your local TSC)
  • Braking performance and feel is immensely better than stock (I simply cannot get them to overheat; stock not so much)
  • No squeaks whatsoever (knocking on silicon carbide) + the clean wheels forever benefit
I honestly felt the most weight savings when I swapped out the 35 lbs Arachnids for my 27 lbs Forgelines (same size, diff offset). It's noticeably more lively at all speeds having shaved off 24 lbs at the corners. Also be aware that the Track Pack is a hardware + software combo. Track mode is a further added enhancement by going with the Track Pack brakes, and yes, I did push 190 mph somewhere in Mexico.

I never considered aftermarket brakes on my ride. None look as beastly as the OEM AP Racing calipers with those 410 mm ST rotors and none come with the ones and zeroes from Tesla to complement the added performance.

Gl!

P.S. Wheels should be assessed by weight, stiffness and load rating (many think lighter is always better because they're simple minded)

View attachment 1055250

It's hard to justify 20K for the track pack though... Especially when the car battery and motors will overheat in 5min and will require a cool down, which will also allow to cool the brakes... In that regard, spending 3K on MPP disks + $700 on pads + few hundreds more on brake lines and master cylinder brace seems more reasonable. This will be enough to hold until the battery overheats...

Cool factor of the CCB is undeniable, but they are only 10mm bigger than MPP not a huge difference.

99% of the tracks won't see any use of the top speed, and you still keep oem bushings, arms that are mushy, low camber, bumpsteer prone...

For track duty full brakes and suspensions parts from MPP (or UP) will make a WAY faster car than the 20K track pack from Tesla...100% sure.

It's hard to justify 20K for the track pack though... Especially when the car battery and motors will overheat in 5min and will require a cool down, which will also allow to cool the brakes... In that regard, spending 3K on MPP disks + $700 on pads + few hundreds more on brake lines and master cylinder brace seems more reasonable. This will be enough to hold until the battery overheats...

Cool factor of the CCB is undeniable, but they are only 10mm bigger than MPP not a huge difference.

99% of the tracks won't see any use of the top speed, and you still keep oem bushings, arms that are mushy, low camber, bumpsteer prone...

For track duty full brakes and suspensions parts from MPP (or UP) will make a WAY faster car than the 20K track pack from Tesla...100% sure.

You can't justify it. I can. Easily. I wouldn't have bought the MSP without it on offer.

You can't justify it. I can. Easily. I wouldn't have bought the MSP without it on offer.
Your choice.

Does not mean it's the more financially sound.

I track cars competitively (I have also a full race specs C7 Z06 that holds some lap records on local tracks) and enjoy modifying myself my cars. I always look at best price/performance ratio and carefully review all options.

Some people throw money, some people review best options vs car capabilities. Having 2 cars expensive to run competitively helps you to find the more financially sound options. Having a set of brakes that can hold 30min session when the car holds max 5min before overheating in time trial pace makes no sense to me.

If you're happy with your purchase, good for you. I will be happy to show you how much faster a plaid without track pack but with the right brakes and suspension parts is.

I laughed at the comment vs brake feel vs install though. Unless the tech does not know how to bleed the brake circuit, otherwise nothing in the brake install will affect the feel.

Your choice.

Does not mean it's the more financially sound.

I track cars competitively (I have also a full race specs C7 Z06 that holds some lap records on local tracks) and enjoy modifying my cars. I always look at best price/performance ratio and carefully review all options.

Some people throw money, some people review best options vs car capabilities. Having 2 cars expensive to run competitively helps you to find the more financially sound options. Having a set of brakes that can hold 30min session when the car holds max 5min before overheating in time trial pace makes no sense to me.

If you're happy with your purchase, good for you. I will be happy to show you how much faster a plaid without track pack but with the right brakes and suspension parts is.

I laughed at the comment vs brake feel vs install though.

My Plaid is my daily driver. I don't make money by racing anything and I presume neither do you. So who cares about proving how much faster you are than anyone else on the internet.

You're weird man.lol

Gl!

View attachment 1055250
How do you get the stock brakes to overheat on the street? I can get 3 stops in a row from 100-20MPH with stock brakes without fade, meaning into the anti locks. Once or twice stopping hard is enough on the street, more than that and I shouldn't be on the street. I have not driven track pack brakes but I suspect when Ice cold, stock brakes will work better because of the higher heat range of the track pack brakes? I have a good amount of race track experience as well.