Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Screen on Tesla App Wake bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 S LR, on SW version 2022.12.3.3 and this is a repeatable problem. If I wake up the car in deep sleep (by mere opening of the Tesla app to refresh stats), rear screen gets turned on too. This would not be a problem if the rear screen just shut down by itself after a minute. But it doesn't. It just stays on, for up to 15-30 mins.

It gets worse. If the last person in the car set the climate control or music on from the rear screen, then as the rear screen wakes up, climate control AND music both start pumping too. The normal behavior is when you leave and close the car door, everything shuts down, and stays shut, even if you check the app in the future.

This explains higher than usual battery drain lately and it's definitely a bug - the front screen stays off the whole time. As of now, the only way to shutdown the rear screen is if I unlock and lock the car again.

I am not not sure how long I had this issue… can anyone else confirm?

1) on rear screen, set climate control to on and music to play
2) leave and lock the car (music and climate control should both be off now and both screens should be dark)
3) leave the car alone long enough for it to enter sleep stage (*important* resist opening Tesla app).
4) now open Tesla App remotely (basically just to refresh battery/temperature stats)
5) now go to your car (while keeping the phone/app far away from the car as not to enter bluetooth range). The car is locked, but the rear screen is on, and also climate control and music are on as well (if you I left them on previously).

Reactions: jiehan
I’m on 2022.12.3.3 as well and tested per your sequence. The rear screen, HVAC and audio did not turn on.

How long do you leave the car alone in #3 and know it’s asleep? My car seems to always make a subtle humming noise, and a fan around top of hood turns on at random times.

I’m on 2022.12.3.3 as well and tested per your sequence. The rear screen, HVAC and audio did not turn on.

How long do you leave the car alone in #3 and know it’s asleep? My car seems to always make a subtle humming noise, and a fan around top of hood turns on at random times.
Long enough so that when you open your Tesla App, it will have the hour glass/circle thing going on the top half (with text saying last opened xx mins ago) as it tries to reload the latest data from the car.

Do you have rear seat belts plugged in on backside? I noticed that this issue seemed to pop up for me since I have car seats with seat belts holding it in place. I have yet to try this with seat belts unplugged, but the car may think someone is in the rear due to seatbelt plug. I basically resort to pausing music and turni g off HVAC everytime I get out of car.

• Informative
Reactions: paulchou
Do you have rear seat belts plugged in on backside? I noticed that this issue seemed to pop up for me since I have car seats with seat belts holding it in place. I have yet to try this with seat belts unplugged, but the car may think someone is in the rear due to seatbelt plug. I basically resort to pausing music and turni g off HVAC everytime I get out of car.

I actually do a seat belt extender in the back seat. Now that I think about it, it could cause all types of havoc logically. I will test some more today and report back later.

I also have a nasty Cabin Overheat Protection stop working issue that may be related to this as well that I will play around w/ some more...

Ideally I suppose the way Tesla checks for seatbelt on should be buckled pressed in AND closed-loop of seatbelt...

Reactions: mswlogo
yup. i posted this same question a few months back. i have narrowed it down to my rear car seat being buckled in.
i wish there was a way to tell the car to ignore if and treat it as a carseat... or just not wake up the rear screen + music if someone is in backseat unless its in camp/dog/whatever mode.

i wish we can submit a bug to tesla... i tried chatting w/support and basically heard nothing back.