Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat retractable cupholders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All! I have searched and found a lot of answers regarding a DIY for adding retractable rear seat cupholders. I am not in the least handy--at all. I have attached a picture of the console style I have now. I have a 2016 Model S P100DL manufactured 8.2016. I can't tell if it was an option at that point or not for my car and trim level. The original owner purchased every available package at the time of purchase so I have to assume it wasn't available but it's hard to tell because of how many changes were occuring in the 2016 year. I do not have usb chargers in the rear of the console either. I am only concerned with adding the retractable cupholders, however, if adding both the USB and retractable cupholders is done together I am fine with that!

My question(s) are: Has anyone had tesla simply add the retractable cupholders to the type of console I have? If so, what was the cost? Alternatively, has anyone simply had tesla switch out their entire console? If so, what was the cost of that?

My wife rides in the back with our toddler and I really want the retractable cup holders and depending on cost for either a retrofit or just replacing the center console I'd consider it but I was hoping some of you all might have already pursued this with Tesla directly and might have numbers or possibilities! Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813_181703_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_181703_Chrome.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
There was one guy here, worth to see this posting. I don’t think so that Tesla will accept to make that change. But who knows?
Hahaha yeh I read this one 😂. I am always super impressed by people who can do this stuff on their own. My father is an engineer--I am a lawyer--his tinkering genes did NOTTTT pass down to me. Short of a free play lego set I will need a professional to install. I was hoping Tesla or someone on here had had Tesla do it 😂

Reactions: KalJoMoS
I can't tell if it was an option at that point or not for my car and trim level. The original owner purchased every available package at the time of purchase so I have to assume it wasn't available but it's hard to tell because of how many changes were occuring in the 2016 year. I do not have usb chargers in the rear of the console either. I am only concerned with adding the retractable cupholders, however, if adding both the USB and retractable cupholders is done together I am fine with that!
You are correct that the rear cup holders and USB ports were not options, but changes that Tesla made over the course of Q3'2016. My memory is the cup holders were spotted first, followed by the USB ports, but I don't claim my memories of exact timing from 7 years ago is exact. They actually didn't happen at exactly the same time. I seem to recall cupholders were spotted first, followed by USB ports a short time later, but that does not in any way influence what would be required for you to upgrade. I also don't recall that Tesla ever formally offered and upgrade option. I suspect if you purchased a totally new center console that you'd get them, but that would be pretty expensive just to get the cup holders.

Reactions: MdlSP100D'16
You are correct that the rear cup holders and USB ports were not options, but changes that Tesla made over the course of Q3'2016. My memory is the cup holders were spotted first, followed by the USB ports, but I don't claim my memories of exact timing from 7 years ago is exact. They actually didn't happen at exactly the same time. I seem to recall cupholders were spotted first, followed by USB ports a short time later, but that does not in any way influence what would be required for you to upgrade. I also don't recall that Tesla ever formally offered and upgrade option. I suspect if you purchased a totally new center console that you'd get them, but that would be pretty expensive just to get the cup holders.
Do you know what the part number would be for the console I am talking about? Mine has the black leather if that matters. When I search online I see the actual retractable cup holder unit itself but not the entire console with the retractable cupholders.

Do you know what the part number would be for the console I am talking about? Mine has the black leather if that matters. When I search online I see the actual retractable cup holder unit itself but not the entire console with the retractable cupholders.
Sorry, I don't. Place I would start is the on-line parts catalog, epc.tesla.com, but like you said, but as you said, it's not clear if it's part of the main console or not. They do have a separate page for "center console trim (on or after Aug 31, 2016)" which I think is what you should be looking at, but it's hard to figure out whether the main console has that installed already or there are other parts not pictured.
Best bet is talk with the service center personnel when you're there for your MCU upgrade.

Sorry, I don't. Place I would start is the on-line parts catalog, epc.tesla.com, but like you said, but as you said, it's not clear if it's part of the main console or not. They do have a separate page for "center console trim (on or after Aug 31, 2016)" which I think is what you should be looking at, but it's hard to figure out whether the main console has that installed already or there are other parts not pictured.
Best bet is talk with the service center personnel when you're there for your MCU upgrade.
EXCELLENT! Thank you! I will do that for sure!