Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat width

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have small request... Can someone with a MS please measure the distance between the ISOfix points for me (i.e. the width of the centre seat, but from inside ISO to ISO? (Preferably with the new cloth interior, but it's probably the same on all MSs).

One of the reasons I have been able to justify to the wife my ordering of a MS is that our current car, a Nissan Qashqai, cannot fit an adult in the centre seat when there are 2 ISOfix seats in the outer seats. (Our eldest suffers from extreme travel sickness, so she wants to sit in the back with the kids.)

I have already ordered it :) so this is only so I can prepare myself for the wrath if the car turns up and she cannot fit in the back with the girls.

Cheers,

Paul

Don't have measurements handy. I have 3 diano radian rxt car seats across with the outer two using the ISO latches and center using the seatbelt. All theee use the anchor on the back of the seat.

The car seat is 17" wide so taking out the middle one gives you that much space. Taking out a side one gets you about 4" more (note the cup holders on the outside seats in my picture).

When we don't have the kids with us and are taking an extra adult passenger we pop out one of the side car seats leaving the middle and other side secured. I'm 6" medium build and it's do-able to sit there but pretty tight. My wife is 5'4" and fits ok but climbing into the middle would be an incredible challenge - not to mention attempting to buckle your seatbelt

IMG_0615.JPG

Thanks! That useful information. For a short time she should be able to get to the middle seat because on kid is in an infant seat that is quick release. But once they are both in full size rear-facing seats, we may need to do as you suggest and move one car seat to the centre.

thanks again.

Reactions: JPUConn
Make sure you research carseat width before you get two full-size ones. The rear seat bolsters on the sides can make it difficult for some seats to fit well (boosters too!). The reason JPUconn went with the Dianos above is because they have a narrow width dimension in the lower back of the seat that lets them fit.

Reactions: JPUConn
@tkdkenny, you didn't mention your specific build or if CPO, but note that the LATCH (ISOFIX) config in the rear seat has changed at least once through the years. For example on my 2013 model, I have 5 LATCH connectors, which has given me a lot of flexibility in car seat positioning. According to the later manuals, the center LATCH was removed, leaving 4 and the only supported LATCH configs for those new Model S cars are the outboard seats. However you can still use the seat belts and appropriate car seat to accommodate other configurations. (And there are still 3 tether anchors on back of each rear seat, centered on seats, but not with LATCH for some reason, at least on my car).

My other tip is the following: agree with @JPUConn that best extra seat for adult is an outboard seat, and it will be tight. I have found most people (including me) have problems latching their seat belt because the latch is recessed and/or hidden by the adjacent car seat. I recommend tying a bright ribbon or rope onto the section just below the seat belt latch so passengers can find it easily and pull on it to get easy access to it to fix their own belt.

Do you know if new ones still just have a literal hole in the fabric backing of the seats to get to the tether anchors? That always seemed awfully low effort.

Mine match the newer manuals, so I think no change. They all involve (per manual) "identifying a slice in the seat material."
But this hasn't bothered me since it matched my other (albeit inferior) cars. Also hidden by parcel shelf or rear-facing child seats for me.