Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear sensor not detecting an object while backing up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to share something that happened today. I parked my x by backing the rear end towards a wall. the car gave its customary warning beeps and the radar showed how many inch of clearance I had. I have done this thousands of times without any issue or bumping into anything. Unfortunately, on this particular wall, there is a metal pipe that juts out and runs horizontally just above the line of site for the rear view camera and below the rear view mirror. The sensors never detected this pipe as well. I bumped into the pipe, but was going so slow that I did not realize I had bumped into anything until I got back to the car. I have included some pictures of the damage

20161206_163402.jpg
20161206_163402.jpg

Asides from the fact that the car is now totally un-driveable ;), has anybody encountered this issue. I went back inside the car and confirmed that the pipe cannot be seen at all, either by visual nor by the sensor.

Attachments

• 20161206_163429.jpg
    20161206_163429.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 42
OP, can you post a picture of the location of the pipe in your garage? Trying to visualize its height off the ground. If I understand correctly, this pipe would be about maybe 4ft off the ground? So it's above the rear view camera and way above the sensors on the bumper, why would you think they would detect it? The bumper should stick out more than the hatch, but not sure how far this pipe sticks out either.

Bummer for sure to damage your car, but not sure what you expected to happen. Sensor can't "view" something if it's not in its field of "view".