Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear towbar hitch cover missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my M3P MOT'd last week...the next day the car started to emit quite a loud noise from the rear at anything above about 25-30mph. Noise disappeared when stopped. Took the opportunity to have a look around rear wheel arches, nothing untoward. Then, I checked under the rear bumper and noticed the tow bar hitch cover was missing. Could be a coincidence, but I am suspicious. But anyway, I think that's where the noise is being generated. The thing is, please does anyone have a suggestion as to if/how I could effect a temporary repair (safely), that might lessen or prevent the noise, whilst the spare part makes its way over from China? I've considered cardboard & duct tape, but I'm not sure that's going to tick the 'safe' box. 😉 Sounds like a low-flying light aircraft passing overhead! 😉

Had my M3P MOT'd last week...the next day the car started to emit quite a loud noise from the rear at anything above about 25-30mph. Noise disappeared when stopped. Took the opportunity to have a look around rear wheel arches, nothing untoward. Then, I checked under the rear bumper and noticed the tow bar hitch cover was missing. Could be a coincidence, but I am suspicious. But anyway, I think that's where the noise is being generated. The thing is, please does anyone have a suggestion as to if/how I could effect a temporary repair (safely), that might lessen or prevent the noise, whilst the spare part makes its way over from China? I've considered cardboard & duct tape, but I'm not sure that's going to tick the 'safe' box. 😉 Sounds like a low-flying light aircraft passing overhead! 😉
Cardboard and gaffer tape would enable you to test your theory. (It doesn't seem to add noises when open and towing so this may not be your noise causing issue ... but definitely worth testing out.)

Upvote 0
Cardboard and gaffer tape would enable you to test your theory. (It doesn't seem to add noises when open and towing so this may not be your noise causing issue ... but definitely worth testing out.)
I agree, I've never noticed any noise with my tow bar fitted and that panel missing. Another possibility might be the undertray/cover between battery and rear apron, where it covers the rear motor/axle. It's easily damaged by deep puddles etc., maybe has broken and is vibrating above certain speed? I've a few chunks missing from mine but so far hanging in there.

Upvote 0