Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear vs front door unlocking difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my M3 a couple of days ago
When you press the front doors’ unlock button it unlocks & pops the door ajar, so then you separately just have to push them further open
However, on the rear doors it unlocks the doors but they remain ‘caught’ on the latching mechanism, so you can’t open them. To open the door you have to hold down the button & push at the same time
Is the design meant to be this way or should this be fixed?

When you press the front doors’ unlock button it unlocks & pops the door ajar, so then you separately just have to push them further open
However, on the rear doors it unlocks the doors but they remain ‘caught’ on the latching mechanism, so you can’t open them. To open the door you have to hold down the button & push at the same time

I would take your car back.

That's not right.

I’ve had my car for just over a year now. My front drivers does that. Just pushing the button pops the door open enough to clear the latch...so a quick tap of the button is all it takes...then you can push the door open. With all the other doors it requires more of a press and hold as your pushing the door open past the latch. I’ve mentioned it to my service center when I first got my car and they said that’s normal. I guess it boils down to Tesla tolerances lol. I look at it as a safety mechanism for my passengers ...they can’t accidentally press the button and then fall out:p

My car acts exactly like this, front doors simply push open after pressing and releasing the button, rear doors require a little push while holding down the button. I assume this is intentional, I believe it is a reasonable safety measure considering the possible combination of electric-opening doors and children out of direct sight and reach in the back.

Last edited:
Sounds like the frame mounted catch on the other doors is misaligned. All the doors should operate the same as your drivers door. No need to hold button down while pushing it open.

There is a thread here that tells how to adjust it yourself. I did this to my rear door (which acts like yours does) and now it works great with one push of button.

It also solves doors that are hard to close or take extra effort.

Driver door takes extra effort to close?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I took mine into the service center shortly after taking delivery. This is from the service invoice:

Concern: Customer states that: Rear doors don't open on first button press of door open button. Needs two presses.
Verified customers concern. Tested on other Model 3's and found to be normal. Model 3 doors do not have actuators on
doors and have to be pushed or else door latch will latch back onto striker and not let door open until door switch is
pressed again. No further action required at this time.

Correction: General Diagnosi
s

I took mine into the service center shortly after taking delivery. This is from the service invoice:

Concern: Customer states that: Rear doors don't open on first button press of door open button. Needs two presses.
Verified customers concern. Tested on other Model 3's and found to be normal. Model 3 doors do not have actuators on
doors and have to be pushed or else door latch will latch back onto striker and not let door open until door switch is
pressed again. No further action required at this time.

Correction: General Diagnosi
s
Thanks for the update. My 2019 P3D exhibits the different front/rear opening behaviors but I figured it was "normal". It does take a little education of passengers to push both the button and the door.